The Whatcom County sheriff's office says a woman who was found dead in a house fire was suspected of embezzling $100,000.
The Whatcom County sheriff’s office says a woman who was found dead in a house fire was suspected of embezzling $100,000.
A detective had knocked on Belinda K. Barnett’s door early Wednesday to question her but nobody answered. Later that morning firefighters responded to flames shooting from the doublewide mobile home. After knocking down the fire, they found her body.
The Bellingham Herald reports (http://is.gd/pTxFfe) the 45-year-old woman died of smoke inhalation.
She was never arrested or charged in the theft case.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle to help buy three new apartment buildings to house people facing homelessness
Fire District 14 Chief Jerry DeBruin said the fire appeared to have started in a bedroom. The county fire marshal and the sheriff’s office are investigating.
Information from: The Bellingham Herald, http://www.bellinghamherald.com