A 44-year-old Vancouver, Wash., man died in a fiery car crash on Interstate 405 in Kirkland just before 2:30 p.m. today, according to Washington State Patrol.
Todd Bekins was exiting the northbound I-405 for Northeast 85th Street when for unknown reasons his 2005 Chevrolet Blazer veered right off the ramp, smashed into an exit sign and burst into flames, according to a WSP release. TV news footage shows the car was completely incinerated by the time emergency personnel could put out the fire.
State Patrol said some witnesses stopped and pulled the man out of the car, but he still died at the scene. He was not wearing a seat belt.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022