It's not yet clear if icy conditions from the recent snowstorm played a role in the student's fall, a university police spokesman said. Detectives are investigating.

Share story

Update: The student died of natural causes from a blood clot in her lung, according to the King County Medical Examiner’s office. The most recent story can be found¬†here.

A 19-year-old University of Washington student died Wednesday after she fell on a campus path and suffered a head injury.

The sophomore fell in the area north of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Building and east of Drumheller Fountain around 10:30 a.m., UW Police Maj. Steve Rittereiser said in an email.

UW police and Seattle Fire Department responded to the incident. The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where she arrived in critical condition, hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg said.

She later died, Rittereiser said.

UW¬†police detectives are investigating. It’s not clear if icy conditions from the recent snowstorm played a role, Rittereiser said.

The Seattle campus suspended operations Monday because of snow accumulation and Tuesday because of icy conditions in the region, according to university alerts from those days.

The general area where the student fell was treated with sand and salt before classes resumed Wednesday, as were other major walkways, university spokesman Victor Balta said in an email.

“There are areas where ice remains and we continue to urge people to avoid spots that have not been completely cleared,” Balta said.

University President Ana Marie Cauce has contacted the student’s family to offer support, she said in a tweet.

“My heart goes out to the family of the student who died as the result of a fall on campus. All of us at the University of Washington are grieving this terrible tragedy with them,” she said.

Cauce said student safety was the university’s top priority, which some students took issue with. In response to the tweet, students shared photos of icy sidewalks and described hazardous walkway conditions.

Rittereiser said university police were aware of Facebook events asking students to pour water over campus walkways at night so classes would be canceled again. But detectives determined that wasn’t related to the incident, he said.

The university sent an alert around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday stating that officials were responding to the incident. At 12:12 p.m., the university updated the alert stating that the area had cleared.