The University of Washington’s McMahon Hall was evacuated for almost two hours this afternoon after food-service workers reported feeling nauseated and light-headed after opening a walk-in freezer.
A hazardous materials team from the Seattle Fire Department responded and examined eight student and adult employees in the cafeteria’s food preparation area, said Kyle Moore, fire department spokesman. He said fresh air seemed to improve everyone’s symptoms and no one was taken to the hospital. Air-quality monitors did not detect any hazardous substances, he said.
The dorm was evacuated from about 12:30 to 2:15 p.m. The fire department turned the scene over to the UW officials, Moore said, to determine whether the food prep area was safe to re-enter.
Most Read Local Stories
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Fast facts about Northgate light rail before it opens Saturday
- Shooting near WSU kills man who worked for Somali American community, injures Cougar football player
- Washington State Patrol's hiring under fire as agency failed to diversify over decades