UPDATE AT 12:13 P.M.: The items in the package were determined to be road flares, according to Seattle police. Residents are now being allowed back into the building.
ORIGINAL POST: An apartment complex in West Seattle has been evacuated as the Seattle Police Department’s bomb squad checks out a “suspicious package” that resembles a box of dynamite, police said.
Members of the department’s Arson/Bomb Squad has just arrived at the building, in the 4500 block of 42nd Avenue Southwest, and will be checking out the package, according to police spokesman Mark Jamieson.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The call originally went to the Seattle Fire Department, which made the decision to evacuate the building, Jamieson said.