UPDATE: 10:45 a.m. | FIFE, Pierce County — A man who lifted a storm drain grate to retrieve his keys, then fell in head-first, has died, according to police.
The 56-year-old man had been taking out his garbage at an apartment complex near the 500 block of 62nd Ave East when he dropped his keys in the drain and attempted to reclaim them by lifting the heavy grate and reaching in, Fife police said.
He was unable to get out, police said, and was found lodged in the catch basin, with his head submerged in water and his feet sticking out of the top.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Case dismissed: Defendants charged in alleged attack on a gay man in North Seattle say it never happened
Police said he was alive when he was pulled out, but later died.
His keys were later recovered from the bottom of the drain, police said.