Share story

Stand-up comedian Micah “Katt” Williams was a no-show at his arraignment this morning in Seattle Municipal Court. But he had an excuse.

Williams’ attorney, Thomas McAllister, told the judge his client was under the impression that he did not have to appear at the arraignment and has returned to California. McAllister said that Williams read a Seattle Times story in which a spokeswoman for the City Attorney’s Office mistakenly said that he did not have to personally appear if an attorney was in court on his behalf.

Municipal Court Judge Willie Gregory agreed that there appeared to be some confusion. He rescheduled the arraignment for Wednesday.

Williams was charged today with three misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree assault stemming from two incidents.

According to charges, Williams struck a man over the head with a microphone while performing on Friday night. Williams was allegedly mad that the man was recording his show at Seattle’s Paramount Theatre. Early the following morning, Williams threw a chair at two fans who were trying to meet him after the show, according to the City Attorney’s Office.

An investigation into a possible harassment is still ongoing, law enforcement officials said.

Williams spent an eventful weekend in Seattle that included several alleged run-ins with people and a brief stay in the King County Jail.

After Williams performed Friday night at the Paramount, some fans called police, saying Williams had attacked them when they tried to take a photograph with him, according to an item posted on the Seattle Police Department’s online blotter.

Williams told officers the fans had tried to force their way into his dressing room and denied assaulting anyone, the blotter item says. No arrests were made.

Though Williams told officers he planned to cancel his Saturday show and leave town, he stuck around and got into a dispute with a patron of the World Sports Grille on Westlake Avenue North in the South Lake Union neighborhood on Saturday night, according to a police report.

Sunday afternoon, he returned to the World Sports Grille, where he allegedly screamed at patrons, threatened a bar manager with a pool cue, flicked a cigarette in a woman’s face and threw a rock at a car window, police said.

He also is accused of being aggressive with officers, who briefly took Williams to the ground before getting him into the back of a patrol car, according to a police report.

Williams has generated a lot of police attention in recent weeks.

On Nov. 15, Williams was arrested by Oakland, Calif., police after allegedly hitting a man in the head with a bottle on a tour bus parked outside a hotel, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. He was booked into jail on investigation of assault and was released the next day.

Two days after his Oakland arrest, Williams was sued by a concertgoer who said he and hundreds of fans were cheated when Williams took off his clothes and challenged people to fight during a concert in Oakland earlier in November, The Sacramento Bee reported.

On Nov. 25, Williams led a California Highway Patrol officer on a pursuit, driving a three-wheel motorcycle on a sidewalk and running several red lights in Sacramento. The pursuit was called off because of safety concerns, but police identified Williams as the motorcycle driver, The Bee reported.