Some unattended candles sparked a fire that caused about $130,000 in damage and more than 40 people to be evacuated from a Queen Anne apartment building Monday morning, officials said.
The fire started at a building near the intersection of Queen Anne Avenue North and West Galer Street just before 4 a.m., Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore said.
Firefighters responding to the scene used a ladder to quickly rescue a trapped woman from her second floor unit, he said. It took them about half an hour to knock down the fire, he added.
The evacuated residents waited in a Metro bus as the firefighters fought the blaze. By about 6 a.m., all but two of them were able to return to their homes. Those two residents, a man and a woman, are being helped by Red Cross.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
The fire caused about $100,000 in damage to the building and about $30,000 in damage to its contents, Moore said. Fire investigators determined it was started by unattended candles.
Moore said the fire should serve as a lesson about the danger of candles on a day when many may be using them to stay warm.
“These are things that can happen unfortunately,” he said.
Firefighters were not significantly affected by the slick road conditions on the day after the first significant lowland snow storm of the year, Moore said. All fire trucks will operate with chains for the next couple days, and all trucks are carrying de-icing solution.