From Staff Reporter Brian M. Rosenthal:
Two men suffered life-threatening injuries tonight in a shooting in Rainier Beach.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The shooting occurred about 8 p.m. in the parking lot of Maya’s Mexican Restaurant, 9447 Rainier Ave. S. , said Mark Jamieson, a spokesman for the Seattle Police Department.
Police are not sure how many shooters were involved or if the incident was gang-related, Jamieson said. Detectives are investigating.
The two men were taken to Harborview Medical Center. No detailed information on their conditions was available.
In an unusual move, Deputy Police Chief Nick Metz asked to speak to reporters after Jamieson’s briefing.
Metz said he wanted the media’s help in getting the word out about a “huge increase” in shootings since Jan. 1.
Mayor Mike McGinn addressed the spike in his State of the City address earlier today.
Like McGinn, Metz called the increase in shootings an “emergency,” but he said he didn’t know its cause.
“The reality is that this isn’t a game,” he said. “It isn’t a game. People are dying.”