Share story

A 17-year-old Tukwila boy was charged as an adult with first-degree assault on Monday, accused of beating a 30-year-old man unconscious with a metal sign post early Thursday.

Jaquon J. Hogues is being held at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent, which has a wing for juvenile defendants, in lieu of $500,000 bail, jail records show.

The alleged victim, Hassan Arr, remained unconscious and was breathing with the aid of a ventilator as of Monday, according to charging documents. By Tuesday, Arr had been moved out of the intensive care unit onto an acute care floor at Harborview Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

Court documents outlining the police case against Hogues do not include a possible motive for the alleged attack.

At 12:45 a.m. Thursday, a taxi driver was fueling his cab at a Shell gas station at 14620 Tukwila International Blvd. when he first heard a group of men shouting profanities, charging papers say. Soon after, the taxi driver saw Hassan, who he knew, run into station convenience store, pursued by a younger male, who grabbed Hassan’s jacket and shook him before the store clerk shooed both of them outside, the papers say.

Hassan then ran toward the Edgewood Apartments on South 148th Street, where he lives, the papers say. A neighbor was awakened by the sound of footsteps in the stairwell, and then heard a heavy object being dragged down the same stairs, according to charging papers. The woman also heard “a grunting noise, giving her the impression someone was being struck,” followed by the sound of a metal pole dropping to the ground, the papers say.

The woman looked out her window and saw a young man. She also heard the alleged victim gasping for breath, so she called 911 and provided a description of the man she’d seen walking out of the complex parking lot, the papers say.

A Tukwila officer located Hogues, who matched the description, a short distance away and noticed he had blood on his clothing, according to charging papers.

Officers also found the victim, who was laying near a patch of disturbed dirt where a sign post had been, along with a metal pole and sign covered in blood, the papers say.

An officer familiar with Arr indicated that one of Arr’s arms was disabled from a previous injury, decreasing the likelihood that Arr was adequately able to defend himself, the papers say. He suffered a potentially life-threatening head injury, according to charging papers.

Hogues is to be arraigned July 9.