A trooper opened fire at a suspected car thief who ran over the trooper’s foot while fleeing from a traffic stop this morning in Renton, according to the State Patrol. The trooper was taken to Valley Medical Center in Renton for treatment for a foot injury.
The trooper pulled over the car around 10 a.m. because it was being driven illegally in the HOV lane on northbound Interstate 405 near Northeast 30th Street, State Patrol spokeswoman Julie Startup tells KOMO-TV. As the trooper approached the driver, the driver sped off, running over the trooper’s foot.
The trooper fired a gunshot at the fleeing car, but missed, Startup said.
The driver was arrested a short time later when he crashed into some brush in the 1600 block of Northeast 30th Street, according to KOMO. Startup said the car had been stolen.
Most Read Local Stories
- This says it all: Congressman proposes 'Masks Off Act' for schools as 29% of COVID cases in his area are in schoolchildren
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lack of answers is excruciating for family of man found shot to death at Seattle's Gas Works Park
- Shooting near WSU kills man who worked for Somali American community, injures Cougar football player
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
The name of the 30-year-old trooper has not been released, but Startup tells KOMO he’s a six-year veteran of the State Patrol.