The huge amount of evidence in the case against Robert Pickton, accused in the deaths of 15 women, might mean Pickton won't go to trial until sometime in 2006, four years after...
NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. The huge amount of evidence in the case against Robert Pickton, accused in the deaths of 15 women, might mean Pickton won’t go to trial until sometime in 2006, four years after he was arrested, a judge says.
Yesterday, Chief Justice Patrick Dohm made a lengthy and unusual plea to the families of the women Pickton is accused of killing, asking for their understanding in the continuing delays.
“Every effort is being made to get this matter on for trial,” he said. “It may not appear so to the families. I’m asking you to be patient a little while longer.”
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
Pickton, a pig farmer from the Vancouver suburb of Port Coquitlam, was arrested in February 2002. He is charged with 15 counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of missing women. Prosecutors say they might add seven more counts before Pickton goes on trial.
Dohm set the next hearing date for March 31. He said he hopes lawyers for the defense and government at that time would be able to set a timeline for pretrial arguments to begin.
Dohm also set June 22 as the date a judge for the trial will be appointed.