The Highway 520 bridge will close all weekend, complicating traffic during three big events in Seattle.
The Highway 520 bridge will close for construction all weekend, making travel harder for any Eastsiders crossing the lake for the Greenwood Car Show, the Kenny Chesney-Jason Aldean concert or the Seattle Pride parade.
The three events combined are expected to draw more than 120,000 people into Seattle neighborhoods.
The Bellevue Strawberry Festival, Shoreline Arts Festival and Seafair Pirates landing on Alki Beach will attract additional traffic.
And unlike other Highway 520 closures, this one will also block 520 traffic eastbound starting at I-5, so drivers won’t even be able to take the short trip to the Montlake exit. Westbound traffic will still be able to cross Portage Bay from the University of Washington to I-5.
Most Read Local Stories
- Toxic PCBs festered at a Monroe school for eight years as students, teachers grew sicker
- WA launches website to order free COVID tests; here's how to get them
- Research shows psychedelic mushrooms can help treat depression. Is legalization on the horizon for Washington?
- 'Hey, boys, you've got to keep it down': In Ballard, noisy sea lions are a real scene
- Walla Walla debates future of Marcus Whitman statue
The bridge across Lake Washington will be closed in both directions, as far as 92nd Avenue Northeast near Medina.
Closures will run from 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
Crews will be installing temporary toll equipment at Medina, as well as a temporary westbound offramp at Montlake, and utilities.
Event times include:
• Pride Festival: Music shows and marches will take place throughout the weekend on Capitol Hill, stretching to South Lake Union on the other side of I-5. The downtown Pride Parade is at 11 a.m. Sunday, from Fourth Avenue and Union Street to Seattle Center.
• Country music: The Chesney-Aldean concert, at CenturyLink Field in Sodo, begins at 5 p.m. Saturday.
• Car show: Classic cars and their admirers take over Greenwood Avenue North, from North 67th Street to North 90th Street, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
• Seafair: The pirate landing at Alki is 2:15 p.m. Saturday.
• Bellevue Strawberry Festival: At Crossroads Parkfrom 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Shoreline: The arts festival runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, at the Shoreline Conference Center.
In many cases, especially the Pride events, car access is tight, and many revelers choose to ride bicycles and transit.