One person died and three others were injured after a three-vehicle crash that began as a road-rage incident on southbound Interstate 5 in Seattle.
One person died and three others were injured after a three-vehicle crash that began as a road-rage incident on southbound Interstate 5 in Seattle Wednesday night.
A 23-year-old female passenger was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on I-5 north of South Michigan Street, according to the State Patrol.
Drivers of a black Chevrolet SUV and a blue Dodge Neon became involved in a conflict on southbound I-5 around 10:15 p.m., according to Trooper Chris Webb, spokesman for the State Patrol.
The SUV was behind the blue Neon, which was going extremely slow, and the SUV passed the Neon and pulled back in front of the car, Webb said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Traffic nightmare: Bizarre fire, crash close I-5 lanes near Lakewood for nearly 13 hours VIEW
- More Seattleites are housing homeless people in their backyards, but it’s hard to find the right fit VIEW
- ‘We failed’: Seattle Children’s CEO admits 6 deaths, more illnesses due to mold in ORs
- Was the language voters saw on their ballots for Initiative 976 wrong? Sure seems like it. | Danny Westneat
- Fearing a mass shooting, police took his guns. A judge gave them back.
“The SUV brake checked a few times and then eventually must have checked hard and the blue car struck the back of the SUV,” Webb said.
The third car, a silver Infiniti, was unable to avoid the incident and hit the blue car, he said.
The 21-year-old male driver of the Neon and the 30-year-old male driver of the SUV were both arrested for vehicular homicide and warrants obtained for blood alcohol, Webb said.
The fatally injured female was a passenger in the Neon, Webb said.
Both drivers and the female passenger of the SUV were taken to Harborview Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, Webb said.
The driver of the Infiniti was able to go home from the scene. Immediate reports after the crash said five people were injured, but reports Thursday morning revised that number to three.
Multiple lanes of I-5 were closed for several hours.
The State Patrol is seeking information regarding the accident. Anyone who saw the cars on I-5 or saw the crash is asked to contact Detective Russ Haake at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-682-8182.