The Associated Press
The Washington Transportation Commission is naming two new ferries at its meeting Tuesday in Tacoma.
A three-member committee has been considering seven suggested names. They include Ivar Haglund and Tokitae. Haglund was the colorful founder of Ivar’s seafood chain. Tokitae is an orca better known as Lolita at the Miami Seaquarium.
Five other names follow the more traditional tribal names carried by most of the 23 state ferries on Puget Sound: Cowlitz, Hoquiam, Muckleshoot, Samish and Sammamish.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The seven-member commission votes on the committee recommendations to decide the names for two new 144-car ferries under construction.