Also known as King County International Airport, Boeing Field was the region's primary passenger airport until the development of Seattle-Tacoma...

Share story

Also known as King County International Airport, Boeing Field was the region’s primary passenger airport until the development of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in the late 1940s and early ’50s. Some historical highlights:

1928: King County voters approved a $950,000 plan for construction of the region’s first municipal airport. About 50,000 people attended the dedication.

1930: The terminal and administration buildings were completed.

1941: A paved, 5,825-foot-long runway opened.

1941: On Dec. 6, one day before the attack on Pearl Harbor, the airport was closed to the public and taken over by the federal government because of its strategic location. During World War II, the airport was devoted to the production of thousands of B-17 and B-29 bombers.

1954: Commercial aviation history was made as the Boeing 707 “Dash 80” prototype made its maiden flight from the Renton Boeing plant to Boeing Field.

1962: A new control tower was dedicated.

1981: The Airpark Hangars Complex was built to house 20 business-sized aircraft.

1987: The Museum of Flight was dedicated.

1988: The Airpark Hangars Complex was expanded by 16 bays.

1993: The northeast apron was constructed, creating 55 aircraft tie-downs.

2003: Port of Seattle had discussions with King County about buying the airport.

2005: King County Executive Ron Sims announced Southwest Airlines wants to begin offering flights at Boeing Field. Fierce opposition from Port and others ended discussions.

2006: Port of Seattle and King County unveiled a deal that would give the Port ownership of Boeing Field in exchange for a 47-mile stretch of rail corridor.

Source: King County International Airport