Pierce County officials say they've charged a 27-year-old man with murder in a hammer attack involving two people at a Tacoma home.
TACOMA — Pierce County officials say they’ve charged a 27-year-old man with murder in a hammer attack involving two people at a Tacoma home.
Nicholas Edward Lane pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of murder in the first degree and attempted murder in the first degree. Lane is being held on $2 million bail.
Tacoma police were called to a home Tuesday afternoon after receiving a report of a hammer assault.
Officers found 78-year-old Joyce Coffel and her 57-year-old disabled son, Clifford Bennett, with life-threatening injuries. Bennett died at the scene and Coffel was taken to a hospital for treatment.
Most Read Local Stories
- Omicron flips 'big switch' at Seattle-area hospitals as ICUs are spared from COVID surge
- Lawmakers hit brakes on WA Cares payroll tax, plan big changes
- Coronavirus daily news updates, January 20: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Several families still unable to return to Bellevue street where hill gave way, house slid
- WA Supreme Court upholds $18M campaign finance fine against grocery industry group
Lane’s mother, who also lives in the home, told police Lane was visiting her at the time.
Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a news release that methamphetamine may have fueled the crime.