Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Joseph Anthony Davis, 33, was so broke that he filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last month, reporting $1 in his checking account. His major asset: a 17-year-old Honda with 162,000 miles.

Share story

The man accused of plotting a terrorist assault on a Seattle military recruiting station was shopping for guns and grenades while dodging creditors and drumming up clients for his cleaning and detailing business.

Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Joseph Anthony Davis, 33, was so broke that he filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last month, reporting $1 in his checking account. His major asset: a 17-year-old Honda with 162,000 miles.

He also is married with a toddler son and regularly prayed at SeaTac Mosque.

“He looked like an everyday guy,” said one of his neighbors, Abdi Mohamud.

But he was hardly that.

A radical Muslim, Abdul-Latif said he admired Osama bin Laden and was upset about alleged atrocities committed by U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, according to a federal complaint.

“In his view, murdering American soldiers was justifiable,” the complaint stated. “He wanted to die as a martyr in the attack.”

Records also show Abdul-Latif twice tried to kill himself, the first time at age 12. He heard voices, had visions and had a criminal rap sheet for robbery and assault by 25. He also served a brief stint in the Navy in the mid-1990s.

Abdul-Latif lived in an $800-a-month apartment with his family and owned Fresh N Clean Janitorial Service, records show.

He couldn’t get ahead of the bills, including thousands of dollars in medical bills related to five emergency trips to the doctor, according to bankruptcy records.

“I knew he was kind of struggling,” said Jimmy Mack, one of Abdul-Latif’s neighbors at the Hunt Club Apartments, a large complex in SeaTac.

Abdul-Latif lived in a third-floor apartment in the sprawling gated community that’s centered around a pool, hot tub and fitness center.

His building was quiet Thursday, and several residents didn’t know the FBI had been there the night before to search for evidence.

Mack said Abdul-Latif kept to himself and appeared “snooty” to the other residents of the well-kept complex.

Another neighbor said Abdul-Latif had lived at the complex about five years and spent a lot of time in his apartment.

Suicide attempts

He was born in San Diego, where his father had been imprisoned, according to a court-ordered psychological evaluation related to a 2002 robbery arrest in Bremerton. His younger brother also served time in prison.

Abdul-Latif was raised by his mother until he was 12 then sent to live with his dad. That same year, he tried to hang himself, according to the evaluation, which was obtained by the Kitsap Sun newspaper.

“His father was absent much of time, neglected to provide enough food and other essentials, and that the defendant was eventually placed in a group (home),” the evaluation states.

Abdul-Latif told a psychologist he had smoked marijuana and “huffed” gasoline as a teen and tried to kill himself again around his 23rd birthday by overdosing on pills prescribed for a seizure disorder. He was depressed, he said, and “felt lonely and had no use to live.”

But at the time of the evaluation, he said he was relaxed and unworried. He also said he had heard a male voice that gave him advice and had experienced hallucinations in the past. He also said he didn’t have an urge to harm anyone.

Weeks after his second suicide attempt, Abdul-Latif was charged with first-degree robbery after he held up a 7-Eleven in Bremerton with two plastic toy guns and a ski mask. He told police at the time that he did it because he was broke, according to The Kitsap Sun.

Imprisoned from January 2002 to July 2004, Abdul-Latif was charged with custodial assault while incarcerated in 2003. The conviction added 5 ½ months to his sentence.

A dating profile that appears to belong to Abdul-Latif indicates he converted to Islam about nine years ago.

In the online profile, which corresponds to his name, height (5 feet 6 inches), age and race, Abdul-Latif said he was looking for a second wife, age 16 to 30, who “wouldn’t mind sharing me with my current wife … .”

“I am a very dedicated, strong, and intelligent Muslim,” he wrote, noting that he wanted to “make a life from the most oppressive place on this earth ‘America.’ “

By the time he was allegedly planning his attack in Seattle, he was a religious radical, according to the government’s complaint.

“Abdul-Latif said that if he was killed in the attack, his son would be proud that he fought the ‘nonbelievers,’ ” the complaint said.

Abdul-Latif shelled out $800 for machine guns that a source, working as a government informant, had arranged for him to buy. The cash, he told the informant, came from money he had been saving for hajj, a religious pilgrimage to Mecca.

Alleged accomplice

Meanwhile, the sister of his alleged accomplice, Walli Mujahidh, 32, was shocked by the charges.

Lojia A. Domingue, of Los Angeles, said Thursday that she doesn’t believe her brother is capable of what the government is alleging.

“He’s not violent,” she said in a telephone interview. “That is all I can say.”

She said she believes her brother was manipulated but doesn’t know by whom because she doesn’t know his friends and associates. She declined further comment.

But Mujahidh’s estranged wife has alleged that he was capable of violence. In an interview Thursday, she said she has been separated from him since 2007 and she was in the process of divorce.

The Seattle Times is not using her name because she has identified herself in court papers as the victim of domestic violence attributed to Mujahidh, who at that time went by the name Frederick Anthony Domingue, Jr.

She said the couple married in 2007 after they met in Riverside, Calif., and she lives in the Seattle area. In July 2007, she filed a petition in King County Superior Court seeking a protection order against Mujahidh.

The petition alleged Mujahidh had “kicked down my apartment door and destroyed everything that was in the apartment.”

She wrote that he twice threatened to kill her.

“He also goes into these rages where he screams and yells at me … ,” she wrote.

Reporters Janet I. Tu and Jessie Van Berkel and researchers Miyoko Wolf and David Turim contributed to this report.

Susan Kelleher: 206-464-2508 or skelleher@seattletimes.com

Steve Miletich: 206-464-3302 or smiletich@seattletimes.com