From Seattle Times photographer Aaron Lavinsky
Seattle Police will have as many as 75 officers at Gas Works Park today and for the fireworks show tonight, according to Lt. Ron Rasmussen, who is among those at the park today. Additional officers will be directing traffic nearby and working at other events, he said.
The goal is to “provide folks the ability to enjoy a great summer day watching the fireworks without major issues,” he said.
As part of the security arrangements, police have installed a bio-, chemical- and radiation detector in the park, according another officer who did not give his name.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea