Police had been looking for the cab after reports of a carjacking and shots fired north of Lynnwood, authorities said.
A man was taken into custody Wednesday after he carjacked a Yellow Cab and drove the wrong way on Interstate 5 at one point during a police chase, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff’s office spokesperson Courtney O’Keefe said the suspect, a 38-year-old Renton man, was taken into custody after the cab was stolen and shots were fired about 1:45 p.m. in a Dollar Tree parking lot in the 13600 block of Mukilteo Speedway.
The cab was then spotted near I-5 and a chase ensued, with the Seattle Police Department assisting, O’Keefe said. At one point, the suspect drove the wrong way on the interstate and deputies stopped the pursuit.
The chase began a second time and the suspect crashed at the entrance of the southbound HOV lanes in Northgate, with at least one sheriff’s deputy vehicle assisting in stopping the car, authorities said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Traffic nightmare: Bizarre fire, crash close I-5 lanes near Lakewood for nearly 13 hours VIEW
- ‘We failed’: Seattle Children’s CEO admits 6 deaths, more illnesses due to mold in ORs
- Stretch of sunny weather coming to Seattle
- Fearing a mass shooting, police took a Redmond man's guns. A judge gave them back.
- ATF pays $450,000 to settle discrimination lawsuit involving a boss with a Nazi tattoo
The suspect was taken into custody without incident and there were no injuries.
Deputies believe the shots fired and carjacking in the Dollar Tree parking lot were related. Witnesses reported that the suspect exchanged shots with another man, who was not the Yellow Cab owner, O’Keefe said.
The cab was surrounded by police cars by about 2:20 p.m., according to a tweet by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). All lanes of traffic opened later as the investigation continued in the express-lane entrance, but the incident led to a backup.