Police had been looking for the cab after reports of a carjacking and shots fired north of Lynnwood, authorities said.
A man was taken into custody Wednesday after he carjacked a Yellow Cab and drove the wrong way on Interstate 5 at one point during a police chase, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff’s office spokesperson Courtney O’Keefe said the suspect, a 38-year-old Renton man, was taken into custody after the cab was stolen and shots were fired about 1:45 p.m. in a Dollar Tree parking lot in the 13600 block of Mukilteo Speedway.
The cab was then spotted near I-5 and a chase ensued, with the Seattle Police Department assisting, O’Keefe said. At one point, the suspect drove the wrong way on the interstate and deputies stopped the pursuit.
The chase began a second time and the suspect crashed at the entrance of the southbound HOV lanes in Northgate, with at least one sheriff’s deputy vehicle assisting in stopping the car, authorities said.
Most Read Local Stories
- You return $10,000 found on Issaquah road: Your reward?
- Inslee: Pierce, Cowlitz and Whitman counties must tighten COVID restrictions as Washington cases rise
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 12: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Central District shooting injures 4, including 2-year-old in critical condition, Seattle police say
- Police looking for driver who hit, killed bicyclist near Seward Park
The suspect was taken into custody without incident and there were no injuries.
Deputies believe the shots fired and carjacking in the Dollar Tree parking lot were related. Witnesses reported that the suspect exchanged shots with another man, who was not the Yellow Cab owner, O’Keefe said.
The cab was surrounded by police cars by about 2:20 p.m., according to a tweet by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). All lanes of traffic opened later as the investigation continued in the express-lane entrance, but the incident led to a backup.