A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state's official song from "Washington my Home" to the former Seattle NBA franchise's fight song.
OLYMPIA — A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state’s official song from “Washington my Home” to the former Seattle NBA franchise’s fight song.
Kris Brannon says he filed the initiative on Thursday to raise awareness about the Sonics departure. The initiative says that once a professional basketball franchise returns to Seattle, the song will revert to “Washington my Home.”
In order for an initiative to get on the ballot, organizers need at least 240,000 signatures. Brannon says he’ll do his best to gather the signatures needed.
The Super Sonics left Seattle amid bitter dispute in 2008. The team is now in Oklahoma City, where it has become a playoff contender.
Most Read Local Stories
- Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and Seahawks owner, dies at 65
- One of the brightest meteor showers of the year will soon be visible from Seattle. Here's when to watch
- A $21,634 bill? How a homeless woman fought her way out of tow-company hell | Danny Westneat
- Washington state's white working class shrinks in share of population — a national trend | FYI Guy
- Dino Rossi has done well in real estate, but his work is also fodder for campaign opponents