A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state's official song from "Washington my Home" to the former Seattle NBA franchise's fight song.
OLYMPIA — A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state’s official song from “Washington my Home” to the former Seattle NBA franchise’s fight song.
Kris Brannon says he filed the initiative on Thursday to raise awareness about the Sonics departure. The initiative says that once a professional basketball franchise returns to Seattle, the song will revert to “Washington my Home.”
In order for an initiative to get on the ballot, organizers need at least 240,000 signatures. Brannon says he’ll do his best to gather the signatures needed.
The Super Sonics left Seattle amid bitter dispute in 2008. The team is now in Oklahoma City, where it has become a playoff contender.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle household net worth ranks among top in nation — but wealth doesn't reach everyone | FYI Guy
- Hoping for no snow? King and Snohomish counties could see some Wednesday.
- Tim Eyman charged with misdemeanor theft; attorneys call chair's removal from store an accident
- UW Medicine mistakenly exposed information on nearly 1 million patients
- Surprise! If you get a call from this man, it’s no scam. The state really has money for you.