A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state's official song from "Washington my Home" to the former Seattle NBA franchise's fight song.
OLYMPIA — A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state’s official song from “Washington my Home” to the former Seattle NBA franchise’s fight song.
Kris Brannon says he filed the initiative on Thursday to raise awareness about the Sonics departure. The initiative says that once a professional basketball franchise returns to Seattle, the song will revert to “Washington my Home.”
In order for an initiative to get on the ballot, organizers need at least 240,000 signatures. Brannon says he’ll do his best to gather the signatures needed.
The Super Sonics left Seattle amid bitter dispute in 2008. The team is now in Oklahoma City, where it has become a playoff contender.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington becomes first state to legalize human composting
- Waterfront transforming before our eyes as viaduct comes down
- Low snowpack, hot spring lead to drought declaration for nearly half of Washington state
- In the aftermath of a drug bust, Seattle homeless camp is cleaned up again VIEW
- 'Sorry for what happened to Mr. Gray': DSHS to pay $8M after neighbors' pleas to help vulnerable Seattle man brought no action