A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state's official song from "Washington my Home" to the former Seattle NBA franchise's fight song.
OLYMPIA — A hard-core Super Sonics fan has filed an initiative with the Secretary of State that would change the state’s official song from “Washington my Home” to the former Seattle NBA franchise’s fight song.
Kris Brannon says he filed the initiative on Thursday to raise awareness about the Sonics departure. The initiative says that once a professional basketball franchise returns to Seattle, the song will revert to “Washington my Home.”
In order for an initiative to get on the ballot, organizers need at least 240,000 signatures. Brannon says he’ll do his best to gather the signatures needed.
The Super Sonics left Seattle amid bitter dispute in 2008. The team is now in Oklahoma City, where it has become a playoff contender.
Most Read Local Stories
- Dallas-bound flight returns to Seattle after human heart was left onboard
- We now know where Seattle's airborne heart was headed after Southwest flight was turned around
- Burned bear Cinder shot and killed by hunter in Washington
- Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again
- Gov. Inslee proposes $54.4B state budget with new tax on capital gains