A man suspected of neglecting his elderly mother so severely that she died was arrested by Seattle police Monday, a day after what would have been her 90th birthday. He’s been booked into the King County Jail on investigation of manslaughter.
Detectives started an investigation into her death in October last year at her home on the 7900 block of Martin Luther King Junior Way South. The 56-year-old man’s mother, whose previous body weight had been 90 pounds, died weighing 58 pounds, according to the Seattle Police Department.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office notified state adult-care agencies and Seattle Police Department’s elder-abuse detective because she had been severely neglected by her caregiver, according to the Seattle Police Department’s online blotter.
Seattle detectives eventually found enough evidence of a pattern of neglect to arrest the woman’s son, according to police.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle to help buy three new apartment buildings to house people facing homelessness