An insurgent suicide bomber killed Staff Sgt. Orion N. Sparks, 29, in Afghanistan last week according to the Department of Defense.
Sgt. Sparks was born in Tacoma and raised for most of his life in Gig Harbor, according to The News Tribune. He wanted to return to Gig Harbor after serving his third deployment, his mother told the newspaper.
Sgt. Sparks and Sgt. Jonathon A. Gollnitz, 28, were killed when an insurgent wearing a suicide vest detonated the device near their patrol on Sept. 26 in Afghanistan’s Logar Province, said a Department of Defense release. Both were assigned to the 1st Squadron, 91st Cavalry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team based in Schweinfurt, Germany.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Swinomish tribal members say steelhead net pens violate fishing rights, add their voice to state Supreme Court case