The Associated Press
The Washington State Transportation Commission voted Tuesday to rename the Skagit River Bridge for State Patrol Trooper Sean M. O’Connell Jr., who died nearby in an accident while directing traffic through detours set up after the bridge collapsed.
During its meeting in Seattle, the Transportation Commission voted to rename the bridge the Trooper Sean M. O’Connell Jr. Memorial Bridge.
The change was requested by lawmakers from the 40th legislative district, as well as the chief of the State Patrol and local and state government officials.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle's upzones were a yearslong fight, and could be ‘just the tip of the iceberg'
- What are the most common reasons people are homeless in Seattle?
- ‘It’s shaping up to be pretty darn nice’: Seattle's temperatures could hit 70s this week
- Seattle Police investigate Pioneer Square shooting incident that injured two people
- Capitol Hill homeowners say Eastlake upzone would ruin views of Lake Union VIEW
Transportation Commission Chairman Dan O’Neal says the decision was unanimous and enthusiastic.