The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office called it "an unfortunate accident," and said the father would not face charges.
CHIMICUM, Jefferson County— Authorities say a 2½-year-old boy was flown to a Seattle hospital after his father accidentally ran over him in Chimacum, south of Port Townsend.
The Peninsula Daily News reports the boy was run over by the tires of a Chevrolet Silverado as his father was maneuvering it on the boy’s grandmother’s property on Sunday morning.
Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Apeland says the boy suffered serious injuries when he walked in front of the truck without his father noticing and a front wheel of the vehicle ran over him.
He said after the accident the father drove his son to the school, where he was picked up and flown to Harborview Medical Center.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'It's surreal': Seattle's Pike Place Fish Market sold to fish-throwing employees WATCH
- Tremors shove Washington westward, offer clues into next big earthquake
- Orcas have returned to Puget Sound, and they’ve never faced a bigger menace | Danny Westneat
- Ballard's homelessness quadrupled last year, and anger is spilling over
- ‘Deadliest Catch’ co-star Edgar Hansen pleads guilty to sexually assaulting teen girl
Apeland called it “an unfortunate accident,” and said the father would not face charges.