The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office called it "an unfortunate accident," and said the father would not face charges.
CHIMICUM, Jefferson County— Authorities say a 2½-year-old boy was flown to a Seattle hospital after his father accidentally ran over him in Chimacum, south of Port Townsend.
The Peninsula Daily News reports the boy was run over by the tires of a Chevrolet Silverado as his father was maneuvering it on the boy’s grandmother’s property on Sunday morning.
Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Apeland says the boy suffered serious injuries when he walked in front of the truck without his father noticing and a front wheel of the vehicle ran over him.
He said after the accident the father drove his son to the school, where he was picked up and flown to Harborview Medical Center.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'We lost one of our finest': Kittitas County deputy shot dead Tuesday night was father of three
- This weather won't last: Here's when Seattle's unseasonable warmth will turn to typical cold and rain
- The buses are coming out of the transit tunnel. Here's what it means for transit riders and drivers. VIEW
- After infighting at Seattle's tiny-house villages, activist leaders get the boot
- Officers shoot, wound man after he fires at them on Capitol Hill, police say
Apeland called it “an unfortunate accident,” and said the father would not face charges.