The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office called it "an unfortunate accident," and said the father would not face charges.
CHIMICUM, Jefferson County— Authorities say a 2½-year-old boy was flown to a Seattle hospital after his father accidentally ran over him in Chimacum, south of Port Townsend.
The Peninsula Daily News reports the boy was run over by the tires of a Chevrolet Silverado as his father was maneuvering it on the boy’s grandmother’s property on Sunday morning.
Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Apeland says the boy suffered serious injuries when he walked in front of the truck without his father noticing and a front wheel of the vehicle ran over him.
He said after the accident the father drove his son to the school, where he was picked up and flown to Harborview Medical Center.
Most Read Local Stories
- From peanut butter to applesauce, Washington state stockpiles tons of food for the need ahead
- Coronavirus daily news updates, August 8: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- 'Substantial' pier shift closes Seattle's Waterfront Park
- Eleven kids in Washington have been diagnosed with rare coronavirus syndrome
- Intruder charged with rape after woman was brutally attacked in her Bellevue apartment
Apeland called it “an unfortunate accident,” and said the father would not face charges.