The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office called it "an unfortunate accident," and said the father would not face charges.
CHIMICUM, Jefferson County— Authorities say a 2½-year-old boy was flown to a Seattle hospital after his father accidentally ran over him in Chimacum, south of Port Townsend.
The Peninsula Daily News reports the boy was run over by the tires of a Chevrolet Silverado as his father was maneuvering it on the boy’s grandmother’s property on Sunday morning.
Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Apeland says the boy suffered serious injuries when he walked in front of the truck without his father noticing and a front wheel of the vehicle ran over him.
He said after the accident the father drove his son to the school, where he was picked up and flown to Harborview Medical Center.
Most Read Local Stories
- More effective than condoms? Seattle-area couples test new birth control for men
- Seattle City Council approves plan for UW to build 6 million square feet, add high-rise district
- Michelle Obama extends book tour, adds NW dates, as sales of 'Becoming' top 3 million
- What will the Highway 99 tunnel opening mean for bus routes, detours and tsunamis? We answer those questions and more
- Woman alleges sexual harassment, says Washington State Bar Association didn't hold board exec accountable
Apeland called it “an unfortunate accident,” and said the father would not face charges.