The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office called it "an unfortunate accident," and said the father would not face charges.
CHIMICUM, Jefferson County— Authorities say a 2½-year-old boy was flown to a Seattle hospital after his father accidentally ran over him in Chimacum, south of Port Townsend.
The Peninsula Daily News reports the boy was run over by the tires of a Chevrolet Silverado as his father was maneuvering it on the boy’s grandmother’s property on Sunday morning.
Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Apeland says the boy suffered serious injuries when he walked in front of the truck without his father noticing and a front wheel of the vehicle ran over him.
He said after the accident the father drove his son to the school, where he was picked up and flown to Harborview Medical Center.
Most Read Local Stories
- Heavy rain, gale winds headed our way — but nicer weather may be back soon
- Suspect in Westlake Station shooting arrested, Seattle police say
- As Bering Sea ice melts, Alaskans, scientists and Seattle's fishing fleet witness changes 'on a massive scale' WATCH
- As South Seattle gentrifies, white people become largest racial group | FYI Guy
- How rising costs of living and displacement are changing politics in Seattle and South King County VIEW
Apeland called it “an unfortunate accident,” and said the father would not face charges.