The Associated Press
WENATCHEE — An alert security guard at Wenatchee Valley College helped stop an attempted kidnapping of an 11-year-old girl over the weekend.
The Wenatchee World reports that 43-year-old John A. Graff of Leavenworth was arrested Saturday on suspicion of first-degree attempted kidnapping.
The security guard, Kevin Edwards, detained him until Wenatchee police arrived.
Most Read Local Stories
- These 3 Seattle scientists study the coronavirus. Now they're getting millions to chase their 'wildest scientific ideas'
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
The girl was walking through the campus on her way home from a store when a man approached her and started asking her questions. Edwards had noticed both the girl and the man walking in opposite directions and ran toward them when the girl started screaming and trying to get away.
Edwards called police and Graff was arrested. The girl’s father came to the scene. Police later interviewed the girl.