A blaze that caused $3 million damage Thursday to a condominium building in Seattle’s Queen Anne neighborhood started with an “electrical issue” in the attic, fire officials said Friday.
The fire, which was reported around 5 p.m. at 160 Lee St., started by accident, officials said. No injuries were reported.
On Thursday, Fire Department spokeswoman Sue Stangl described the blaze as starting in one unit and moving to the attic.
Smoke from the fire could be seen for miles. Crews from a fire station across the street from the condo were fighting a fire in Southeast Seattle, in Columbia City, so other fire crews had to respond to the Queen Anne blaze.
Most Read Local Stories
- Sorry treatment of gay teachers suggests Rush Limbaugh was, sadly, right
- Seattle weather hits record high temperature; here's how long the skies will stay clear
- Potential loss of Anacortes ferry 'devastating to this community,' mayor says
- Where Seattle ranks among Washington's safest and least safe cities
- A reporter was in a homeless camp when someone overdosed. He left his recorder on
A witness called in the Queen Anne fire when he noticed smoke billowing from under the door of a third-floor apartment. Kelly Johnson, of Puyallup, said he worked for a bee-extermination company and was there to remove a hive from a hallway.
Several pets had to be removed from the burning building.
Officials Friday said the Columbia City fire, at a strip mall in the 4800 block of Rainier Avenue South, was also accidental, started when a compressor on the roof malfunctioned. The Fire Department put the damage at $160,000 to the building and $150,000 to the contents.