Editor’s note: This is a live account of updates from demonstrations and other events on Tuesday, June 2, as the day unfolded. 

Protests in the Seattle area over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after his neck was pressed under the knee of a white police officer for around eight minutes, continued for a fifth day Tuesday, while local officials around the state extended their city-wide curfews, including in Seattle, Bellevue, Mercer Island, Redmond and Tukwila.

Demonstrations remained mostly peaceful throughout Monday afternoon and into the evening as groups called for racial justice and police accountability in gatherings across the city. Some brief looting, however, took place near the University Village shopping center, and around 9 p.m. in Capitol Hill, tensions rose after police declared a riot and started using tear gas and flash-bang devices on crowds near the department’s east precinct.

In other parts of the Puget Sound area, similar scenes ensued Monday night. In Olympia, local police also started using flash-bang devices to clear away protesters and threatening crowds with felony assault charges.

Tuesday’s protests remained peaceful until around 11:30 p.m., when, for the second night in a row, police used tear gas and flash-bang devices in Capitol Hill. By 1 a.m., police had cleared the intersection at 11th Avenue and Pine Street, where protesters and police had earlier stood, separated by barricades, for hours.

Throughout Tuesday, on this page, we’ll post updates from Seattle Times journalists and others on the protests in the Seattle area. Updates from Monday can be found here.

If you’ve taken part in these protests, we’d like to hear from you: What was your experience? What did being out there mean to you? Fill out this form and let us know.

Live updates:

Second night of tear gas on Capitol Hill

For the second night in a row on Capitol Hill, police deployed tear gas and flash-bang grenades against protesters at 11th Avenue and Pine Street near the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct.

Officers pushed protesters out of the area in several directions. As police advanced down Pine with tear gas and flash-bang devices, people could be seen nearby coughing, spitting and running away.

The police response came after the crowd had dwindled around 11:45 p.m. At about 12:15 am, officers issued a three-minute dispersal order and continued to use flash-bang devices.

In a live stream from the scene, police could be seen advancing along Pine on bikes and with what appeared to be an armored truck shortly after midnight.

Interstate 5 was closed for about an hour and reopened around 12:40 a.m. By 1 a.m., police had cleared the original 11th Avenue and Pine Street intersection.


Capitol Hill protesters remain planted outside police precinct for hours

The Capitol Hill crowd protesting near Cal Anderson Park and the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct had dwindled significantly by 11 p.m., though a remaining group remained planted at the intersection.

Meanwhile, National Guard members continued providing each other relief, trading out posts.

—Sydney Brownstone

How to support Black-owned restaurants in Seattle

It seems like a small thing, but it’s an extremely meaningful one to the chefs and restaurateurs involved: showing support for Black-owned restaurants in the Seattle area by ordering takeout and/or delivery now.

Intentionalist is an excellent online resource for doing so, with a searchable index of Black-owned restaurants, cafes and other businesses around here and in other cities across the country. (The site is also searchable for small businesses owned by more people of color, women, veterans, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities as well — our colleague Naomi Ishisaka’s recent column about how Intentionalist can help align choices with values is very much worth a read.)

For more on some beloved local favorites that are offering takeout and/or delivery now, here are some of our recent stories and reviews.

—Bethany Jean Clement, Jackie Varriano and Tan Vinh

Seattle area corporations respond to protests over police brutality with messages of solidarity, but few specifics

Seattle-area corporate giants lined up to decry racially motivated violence as protests denouncing police brutality against Black Americans have swept through the Seattle area and across the nation in the last week.

As demonstrators filled city blocks to decry the killing of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police, Amazon tweeted a message of solidarity with the Black community. Starbucks and Nordstrom called for “courageous conversations” around race. Microsoft pointed to its past support for criminal justice reform. “Racism has no home here,” Zillow tweeted.

Major companies typically shy away from staking a position on topics as divisive as racially motivated police violence.

But across the country, protesters in the last week have repeatedly emphasized that there is no such thing as staying neutral, forcing companies that have traditionally preferred to stay silent on hot-button political issues to take a stand. During rallies in Seattle on Saturday, protesters carried signs saying “Silence is violence.”

Read the full story here.

—Katherine K. Long

Redmond rescinds curfew after seeing community's peaceful protest

The city of Redmond on Tuesday night rescinded its curfew, which was scheduled to expire at 5 a.m. Wednesday, after seeing the community's peaceful protest.

"The City of Redmond curfew, scheduled from 8 p.m. this evening to 5 a.m. tomorrow, has been rescinded," according to a statement released just after 10 p.m. "This afternoon's peaceful protest has ended and no further demonstrations are expected. We appreciate your patience during this time."

—Elise Takahama

Fireworks go off near Cal Anderson Park, startling some protesters

Capitol Hill protesters grew a little rowdy as loud bangs started to go off near Cal Anderson Park around 10 p.m., though police announced to the crowd that they believed the sounds came from fireworks. Otherwise, the group remained largely peaceful past 10:30 p.m.

—Sydney Brownstone

Demonstration in Olympia makes its way to the Capitol building

Protesters in Olympia have made their way to the Washington State Capitol building. Some law enforcement officials in riot gear were stationed by the governor’s mansion, which drew some attention from demonstrators — but organizers continued to reiterate that it's a peaceful protest.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Peaceful chanting continues in Capitol Hill

Capitol Hill protesters haven't budged, despite Seattle's 9 p.m. curfew.

The crowd continues to chant and occasionally opens up umbrellas, while police and National Guard members maintain a steady line behind the barricade.

—Sydney Brownstone and Amanda Snyder

Protests continue in Olympia

Earlier in the night, one of the speakers who gathered outside Olympia City Hall called for people to break into groups and do some work by talking with each other, which the crowd did.

After talking in groups, the protesters returned to chanting and, later, began dancing.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Olympia crowds return to City Hall for fourth night of protests

In Olympia, protesters have gathered for a fourth consecutive night to march toward City Hall.

Several speakers at City Hall began with telling stories about injustices they've experienced. One woman told the crowd about a time police pulled a gun on her when she was a teenager.

“Why can’t my people be free right now?” another woman asked.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Protesters meet a police barricade at southeast corner of Cal Anderson Park

Crowds are back on the corner of Pine Street and 11th Avenue in Capitol Hill, outside the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct — where protesters gathered Tuesday night before being hit by flash-bang devices and tear gas.

Although people were stopped by a police barricade, organizers encouraged the crowd to maintain a peaceful message.

Around 7:45 p.m., protesters started passing umbrellas to the front of the crowd as police pulled on goggles and gas masks.

—Sydney Brownstone and Amanda Snyder

Seattle police continue to use ‘flash-bang’ grenades during protests, despite recommendations

When she heard the explosions, Rebeca Muñiz knew her plans to participate in peaceful demonstrations in downtown Seattle last Saturday effectively had been blown apart, too.

A few blocks from where she and dozens of other people had gathered at Westlake Park to hear speakers protesting George Floyd’s death at the hands of police in Minneapolis, Seattle officers in riot gear had begun tossing flash-bang grenades — military-style percussion devices often used to control crowds — toward a throng of demonstrators.

Deployment of flash-bang grenades, blast balls and other devices to control and disperse crowds have become a hallmark of the mayhem that has marred recent demonstrations in Seattle and other U.S. cities in the wake of Floyd’s death. The Seattle Police Department’s use of the crowd-control tool date back at least several years and has drawn past scrutiny and concern from civilian watchdogs.

But despite recommendations by the city’s Community Police Commission in 2016 that the agency suspend use of the grenades until they could be more thoroughly assessed, Seattle police never completed the requested study, and continue to use the devices in its repertoire of crowd-policing tactics, according to one former commissioner.

Read the full story here.

—Lewis Kamb

Downtown Auburn businesses board up storefronts

Plywood has been hung over most of the windows on this building on East Main Street in downtown Auburn in preparation for what was advertised as a peaceful protest supporting Black Lives Matter and condemning police brutality, scheduled to start at 6 p.m. at Auburn City Hall on Tuesday.

The street was full of shop owners and volunteers as they put plywood in front of most of the windows in the downtown area of East Main Street. The city provided most of the plywood.


Multiple groups of protesters plan to meet up and march back to Westlake Park

Another group of protesters has made their way to Cal Anderson Park, and plans to meet up with others and march back to Westlake Park.

"We are choosing to stay away from areas where there (is) violence," one organizer said.

—Sydney Brownstone

While majority of protesters are younger, older supporters say country is in danger of backsliding to pre-civil rights era

At Cal Anderson Park, where the previous day police declared the crowd a “riot” and fired off flash-bang devices and tear gas, another crowd of hundreds gathered — many determined to show their protest was anything but.

At 5 p.m., nearly all the protesters kneeled in front of police and National Guard in fatigues, who barricaded Pine Street less than a block away from the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct.

Most of the crowd was very young, but two women in their 70s, Margaret McMillan and Christopher Gee, stood near the front wearing surgical masks. The two have been friends for 40 years.

Gee, a Seattle resident who protested during the civil rights movement of the '60s, said President Donald Trump’s comments about using the military drew her out. She feels the country is in danger of backsliding to the pre-civil rights era.

“It’s very scary to me,” Gee said. “The systemic racism I naively thought was going away."

McMillan, a Bellevue resident who helped clean up Bellevue Square after looting on Sunday, said she was disappointed more people her age weren’t at the protest.

“I understand it’s dangerous with COVID,” she said, noting almost every protester around her was wearing a mask, “but it’s our generations that caused a lot of this.”

“I think we didn’t do enough,” Gee added.

“We gave up,” McMillan said.

—Scott Greenstone

Olympia City Manager pleads for demonstrators to remain peaceful

OLYMPIA – City Manager Jay Burney issued a plea for demonstrators to remain peaceful, as the city prepared for its fourth night of protests over the death of George Floyd.

The plea comes as peaceful daytime demonstrations in the second and third days of the protests grew contentious by nightfall. City Hall was damaged, rocks and objects were thrown at law enforcement, and police arrest at least 16 people over those two nights.

“Frankly, we need the community’s help,” wrote Burney in a statement. “If you are part of a peaceful protest, we hope you will tell those who will use your peaceful message as a cover for destruction to stop. If you are organizing a peaceful protest, send a strong message that violence and violent behavior will not be tolerated.”

Unlike Seattle and Bellevue, Olympia has so far avoided issuing a curfew, Burney wrote, and it supports “the peaceful protests against the racial injustices that African Americans endure in the United States of America.”

But, “This is taking a toll on our employees,” wrote Burney. “This is taking a toll on fragile downtown businesses, still trying to come back from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Seattle curfew extended through Saturday morning

Police Chief Carmen Best announced in a press conference Tuesday evening that Seattle's curfew will be extended on a nightly basis from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. through Saturday morning.

—Daniel Beekman

Protesters kneel before police in Capitol Hill

Protesters in Capitol Hill near Cal Anderson Park are kneeling before Seattle Police Department officers, who have set up a barricade near the East Precinct.

On Monday night, police dispersed protesters using tear gas and flash bangs.

The gathering has grown to more than a block in size.

—Michelle Baruchman

Interstate 5 has reopened to traffic

The Washington State Patrol reopened Interstate 5 about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Trooper Rick Johnson said officials could close the interstate again this evening.

—Michelle Baruchman

Mayor Jenny Durkan promises to meet organizers tomorrow to start creating a plan for addressing racial injustice

After stepping outside to speak with protesters at the city's emergency management center, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan promised she would meet organizers Wednesday afternoon to start creating a plan for change.

"I stand with you," Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best, who joined Durkan, told the crowd. "I really stand with you. I understand the hurt and the anger that everyone feels, especially after the death of George Floyd ... As a Black woman, I feel the same pain you feel and just because I wear the uniform, that doesn't change that."

One organizer, David Lewis, asked Durkan to speak about a plan for addressing issues of police accountability and racial justice.

"The chief and I and others will work on a plan, but the plan has to come from community voice," she said to the group. "That kind of trust isn't here today, or you wouldn't be in the streets marching."

Lewis said that while he appreciated her words, he and others wanted to see a timeline for change.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Durkan responded.

She promised to sit down with organizers outside the city's Office of Emergency Management Wednesday at 3 p.m.

Durkan also addressed the black stripe that covers police officers' badge numbers, which sparked controversy over the weekend among protesters calling for more law enforcement accountability.

"The reason officers do that is to recognize fallen officers," she said. She quickly added: "We are going to make a change ... We are going to find a way that a badge number can be shown every time."

—Elise Takahama

Hundreds of arts workers demonstrate against police violence and the killing of George Floyd

Earlier today, several hundred arts workers — including symphony musicians, opera singers and theater directors — marched from Benaroya Hall in downtown Seattle to McCaw Hall at Seattle Center as part of the series of demonstrations in recent days against police violence and the killing of George Floyd.

Maria Lamarca Anderson, who sings with Puget Soundworks, and is the communications director for University of Washington-Bothell, said she'd decided to join the march in the middle of a Zoom meeting for work that morning.

"I just told them: 'I gotta go,'" Anderson said. "I'd heard about the march last night and realized what I was doing at that particular moment did not matter in the grand scheme of things."

Other demonstrators joined spontaneously, following the crowd. One them, Maurice Cola, gave one of the several impromptu speeches to the mostly white crowd at McCaw Hall. "You might call the cops on us tomorrow, and we'll still get shot," he said. "So use your white privilege. If you want to help black lives, help us with our schools! Help us with our communities!"

The crowd applauded.

Seattle Symphony trumpet player Alexander White, who helped organize the protest with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra and Opera Players' Organization, said crowd estimates were between 500 and 1,000.

"Our two union committees asked: 'What action can we take right now immediately, that will be part of a larger series of actions we can take in our organization to be better?'" White said. "A march would just be a P.R. stunt if we don't continue to work internally." Top of the to-do list: better equity in hiring practices beyond tokenization. "It's easy to go down the path of: 'We hired X nonwhite person,'" White said. "We need to do better."

—Brendan Kiley

Another crowd gathers near Cal Anderson Park for speeches

While one crowd gathers outside the city's Office of Emergency Management, more groups are forming near Capitol Hill's Cal Anderson Park.


I-5 closed due to protests

State officials closed Interstate 5 for the fifth day around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday as protesters marched near the freeway.

The closure will be in effect between Interstate 90 and Highway 520, according to Washington State Patrol trooper Rick Johnson.

—Elise Takahama

Crowd pauses outside the city's emergency management center for speeches

About 4 p.m., the protesters, who have remained peaceful, reached the Seattle Office of Emergency Management near the city's Chinatown International District.

A few organizers began speaking, though their voices have largely been drowned out by a police helicopter overhead. They also invited people of color to share their experiences in front of the crowd.

—Paul Roberts

People arrested during protests remain jailed after threats close King County Superior Court

Dozens of people arrested Saturday for their alleged involvement in rioting and the looting of businesses in downtown Seattle were forced to forgo their first appearances before a judge Monday and so remain jailed due to an emergency closure of the county’s courthouses.

King County Superior Court Presiding Judge Jim Rogers closed courthouses in Seattle and Kent on Monday afternoon after receiving a credible threat of violence, which was relayed by the County Executive’s Office. Rogers said the information he received at 1:30 p.m. Monday was vague, but he quickly shuttered the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle, the Children and Family Justice Center on Alder Street, the Maleng Regional Justice Center (RJC) in Kent, and the involuntary treatment courtroom at Harborview Medical Center.

Seattle police made a total of 57 arrests downtown amid Saturday’s protests and afterward, mostly for burglary and assault, the department said. It wasn’t clear exactly how many of the people arrested were jailed as of Monday.

Read the full story here.

—Sara Jean Green

Protesters began fifth day of protesting at Westlake Park

People started gathering at Westlake Park downtown Tuesday afternoon to continue protesting the death of George Floyd.

Shoreline resident Cameron Jacobson said he's an “independent do-gooder” offering free fruit and other items to demonstrators. It's his third day — though he missed Sunday.

“Too exhausted from Saturday," Jacobson said.

State Troopers stationed themselves on Pine Street between Fourth and Fifth avenues as people started arriving.

After a peaceful but electric demonstration at Westlake Park, a large crowd of protesters moved to Second Avenue around 3:30 p.m., turned south and began marching downtown toward Seattle City Hall, behind an escort of motorcycle police.

As they walked, they chanted, "Hands up, don’t shoot" and "What’s his name: George Floyd."

The group remained peaceful and disciplined as they walked.

—Paul Roberts

Washington cities establish city-wide curfews in response to protests

Several Washington cities have continued their city-wide curfew order in response to George Floyd protests, including Bellevue, Tukwila, Mercer Island and Redmond.

Bellevue's curfew will be in effect for downtown from 5 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday, the city tweeted.

In Tukwila, the mayor has imposed a general curfew beginning at 8 p.m. Tuesday and continuing until 6 a.m. Wednesday. It will be enforced by the city's police department, other law enforcement agencies and the military, according to the mayor's civil emergency order. It prohibits people from entering or "remain(ing) in the public right-of-way" or in public parks.

The Mercer Island mayor and city manager also extended the city's curfew, which was established Monday and will take place through the rest of the week. The curfew will begin each night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning until Friday, according to a Tuesday statement.

Redmond city officials established an 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew Monday and announced its extension Tuesday, adding that they're expecting demonstrations to continue.

"This is based on civil unrest activities across the region/nation & is to discourage unlawful activity but not intended to impose restrictions/citations on legal activities," according to a tweet from the city.

—Elise Takahama

As George Floyd protests continue in Seattle area, one turns chaotic on Capitol Hill

Protests over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed by a white police officer who kneeled on his neck in Minneapolis, continued for a fourth day Monday in Seattle, with one having an all-too-familiar outcome: a violent confrontation with police.

Several hundred protesters marched from downtown Seattle to the police department’s East Precinct on Capitol Hill, where they started calling for Mayor Jenny Durkan to meet them there. At one point, a couple of officers took a knee with protesters.

Just after 9 p.m., the protest erupted into violence, with police using flash-bang grenades and tear gas to send protesters running from the scene. “Crowd has thrown rocks, bottles and fireworks at officers and is attempting to breach barricades one block from the East Precinct,” Seattle police tweeted.

One protester later confirmed objects were thrown at police, but said the officers’ response — flash bangs and tear gas — was disproportionate.

Read the full story here.

—Heidi Groover and Elise Takahama