A fire at a metal recycling center in Woodinville sent plumes of dark smoke over state Highway 522 Wednesday evening.
A heap of scrap metal, rubber and Styrofoam caught fire at Schnitzer Steel around 6 p.m., said Heather Chadwick, a spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 7. No injuries were reported.
Chadwick said none of the burning materials were toxic but advised nearby residents to close their windows because of the strong smell and heavy smoke. North Seattle residents reported seeing smoke from the fire in their neighborhoods Wednesday night, according to the Seattle Police Department.
Firefighters battling the single-alarm commercial fire will likely be there for the rest of the evening, Chadwick said. The fire was under control by 8:45 p.m., according to the Woodinville Fire Department.
The fire didn’t result in lane closures, but Washington State Patrol and local police assisted in managing traffic.