Ten thousand bicyclists: The grand parade of neon and spandex is under way as thousands of bicyclists departed Husky Stadium this morning for the Rose City. It’s an annual classic where the greyhound riders will finish the 200-mile ride in a single day. The big pack will finish Sunday, exhausted but happy to be in Portland. The STP is organized by the Cascade Bicycle Club, and while it’s the big ride of the year, the organization offers many shorter trips for riders of all abilities.
You must check this Web site before you head out today. Really. The 520 bridge is closed in both directions from Montlake Boulevard in Seattle to Interstate 405. And a stretch of northbound I-405 between Southeast Eighth Street in Bellevue and SR520 also is closed for road maintenance until 5 a.m. Monday. Detours are in place. And there are other sporadic street closures as the summer road construction hits its stride. Go have fun but be smart on picking your best travel route.
What could possibly go wrong? Nearly 100 milk carton boats of all shapes will compete, or…rather float…on the blue waters….well, murky waters of Green Lake today for prizes and bragging rights. Maybe they should give contestants an “I survived the Milk Carton Derby” T-shirt. Hey, it’s all fun and it’s Seafair. So go. Watch. Laugh. The derby runs from 9:30 to 4 p.m. today.
The Royal Baby: Shouldn’t we be excited about this historic moment in British history? OK, anyway, the baby to be known as the Prince or Princess of Cambridge may arrive today and because of recent changes in law, she or he will be the third in line to the throne. Got that? Anyway, you can read more here.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'Unwanted subject': What led a Kirkland yogurt shop to call police on a black man | Danny Westneat
- Seattle police seize guns, samurai sword from accused stalker; suspect charged with perjury for lying to police
- Puget Sound orcas are in town, chasing chum salmon and wowing ferry riders WATCH
- Alaska Airlines starts taking reservations for flights out of Everett's Paine Field
- UW will shutter Mount Baker laundry, putting nearly 100 employees out of work
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- 787 fire at Heathrow reignites concerns about Boeing plane
- Murky water hindered search for man who died in hotel pool
- Boeing stock tumbles after fire on 787 Dreamliner
- Third Chinese girl dies from injuries in SF crash
- UW must pay family $15M for error that left daughter disabled