Update 11 p.m.: With more than 95 percent of the precincts reporting Saturday night, Romney collected 38 percent of the vote in the presidential straw poll, with Ron Paul just edging out Rick Santorum for second place with about 25 percent. Newt Gingrich trailed at 10 percent. read more
Original post: Mitt Romney leads in the first batch of results from Washington’s Republican caucuses.
The results, from 15 smaller counties, had Romney ahead with 31.5 percent of support in the presidential straw poll. Ron Paul was in second place with 26.9 percent.
They were followed by Rick Santorum with 24.4 percent and Newt Gingrich with 12.9 percent.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
The numbers were released by state Republican Party officials in Bellevue.
More results from the state’s larger counties are expected later Saturday afternoon.