Residents cleared out of an apartment building in the 500 block of Wall Street at about 10:50 a.m. Sunday after a fire started in a restaurant kitchen on the building’s 1st floor.
About 75 residents, many of them holding nervous cats or dogs, stood outside amid falling snow as firefighters responded. No smoke or flames were visible from the outside of the building.
“We could smell the smoke,” said Deanna Jones, 27, a building resident, who clutched a shaking dog as she spoke.
The smoke spread through the entire building; one person on the 17th floor said there was smoke in the hallway there when he evacuated.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
A spokesman for the fire department confirmed the fire began in a kitchen and was out by about 11:30 a.m.
Residents were being returned to their floors, an official said.