Share story

Aaron Rey Ybarra, the 26-year-old suspect in the shootings that left one man dead at Seattle Pacific University on Thursday, called 911 in a rage in 2010, saying he “wanted to hurt himself and others,” according to a police report obtained by The Seattle Times.

Officers from the Mountlake Terrace Police Department found that Ybarra was very intoxicated at the time and took him to a hospital for involuntary commitment.

In a similar case from 2012, a police report said officers found Ybarra lying in the middle of the street and said he wanted a SWAT team to get him and “make him famous.” He also said at the time he wanted to die.

He wasn’t arrested in either incident. Cmdr. Doug Hansen of the Mountlake Terrace Police Department said officers took Ybarra into protective custody and involuntarily committed him at Swedish Medical Center.

“It was more of a care-taking situation,” Hansen said today. “We were trying to get him some help from a professional.”

Police records show that Ybarra also was arrested by Edmonds police for driving under the influence in July 2012. His blood-alcohol level was recorded as 0.18, records show.

Ybarra underwent a year of alcohol-abuse treatment ending in December 2013. His counselor reported at the end of the year that Ybarra was separately being treated for depression, mental-health issues, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

He was taking the antidepressant Prozac at the time and planned to “continue to meet with his psychiatrist & mental health therapist as needed,” according to his counselor’s report.

Ybarra had a “fascination with mass shootings,” a law-enforcement source briefed on the investigation said today.

Ybarra’s obsession included an interest in the 1999 Columbine High School shootings in Colorado, the source said. In that massacre, two teens killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 23 others before killing themselves.

Ybarra chose Seattle Pacific University for no particular reason as a place to carry out his own plan to commit a mass shooting, the source said. Ybarra was not a student at the school, police said.

In general, there was “no rhyme or reason” to his actions, the source said.

A Seattle Pacific University student tackled the gunman as he was reloading his shotgun after killing one student and wounding two others inside a campus hall Thursday afternoon. Seattle police took Ybarra into custody.

The shooting unleashed a wave of terror across the campus as the school went into lockdown and students scrambled for cover.

Another law-enforcement source said today that Ybarra planned a mass shooting and to kill as many people as possible, then kill himself.

“He was hellbent on killing a lot of people today,” a third law-enforcement source, briefed on the investigation, said Thursday night.

Ybarra, who was questioned by police, was booked into the King County Jail for investigation of homicide late Thursday night. A bail hearing for Ybarra is scheduled at 1:30 today, where prosecutors will lay out some of their evidence.

King County Jail Interim Director William Hayes said that Ybarra is being housed in a solitary cell on the seventh floor of the jail. The seventh floor is where the jail houses closely monitored and mentally ill inmates.

“Anybody who is in (jail) on a charge of this significance and notoriety is always housed in their own cell,” Hayes said. “We are keeping a very close eye on this individual so he doesn’t do anything to himself or others.”

Hayes would not say if Ybarra has threatened to hurt himself, although his attorney described him today as suicidal.