Share story

We blogged, tweeted and shot photos of the Super Bowl victory parade down Fourth Avenue from Denny Way to Century Link Field, and the celebration at CenturyLink.

UPDATE 4:15 p.m.: The final whistle has sounded on this blog. Thanks for reading. See you all again next season.

UPDATE 3:56 p.m.: Better settle in for a long commute as 700,000 extra people try to get out of downtown Seattle.

There’s a crash blocking northbound Aurora Avenue North at North 185th Street, and another blocking all lanes of northbound Interstate 5 near the Alderwood Mall. There also is a crash on northbound I-5 at 175th. No word yet on injuries.

UPDATE 3:43 p.m.: In case you were wondering what happened to Marshawn Pinch, here’s an update from the Seattle Aquarium:

“Marshawn Pinch is recovering at the Seattle Aquarium after crushing the Denver Barnacles and is still celebrating winning Fish Bowl XLVIII.  He can be seen daily at the Seattle Aquarium or visit his web cam.”

UPDATE 3:39 p.m.: Lindsey Valentine and her 7-year-old son waited for an hour at a bus stop on Fourth Avenue, just south of Seneca, but no bus ever came. At 3 p.m. she was searching for another bus route home after the parade.

“If they were pushing public transit so much they should have added more buses,” said Valentine, who took a standing-room-only bus from Lynnwood at 6:30 a.m. to get downtown.

Matt Ellis also was waiting for a bus on Fourth near Seneca. He tried to get on the Sound Transit website to find another option, but said the site appeared to have crashed. “C’mon, Sound Transit, you guys are dropping the ball,” he said, before heading west to find another route.

UPDATE 3:19 p.m.: Quarterback Russell Wilson said, “At the beginning of the year, we knew we could get here.” He thanked running back Marshawn Lynch and his receivers and tight ends. Then his commended his offensive line: “We didn’t have any sacks in the Super Bowl. That’s pretty good.”

He left fans with this thought: “In order to win multiple Super Bowls, you have to win the first one first. Our plan is to hopefully win another one for you next year.”

UPDATE 3:17 p.m.: Cornerback Richard Sherman took the microphone after a short dance with his teammates and thanked the “greatest fans in the world.” Then he talked up defensive backfield teammates Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas. But he didn’t stop there. He moved on to naming the linebackers and defensive linemen, then led the fans in a cheer for the entire defense.

UPDATE 3:13 p.m.: Head coach Pete Carroll said today was  an “extraordinary day,” delivering the trophy to the 12th Man. He said of the relationship with the team and its fans: “There’s nothing like it anywhere else in the world.”

UPDATE 2:50 p.m.: The Seahawks players are coming out of the tunnel onto the field one at a time, with their names being called by the announcer. They’re walking through flashing lights and a fog machine. Several players were taking video on their phones. Marshawn Lynch walked out with a bottle of champagne.

Russell Wilson walked out last, holding up the Lombardi Trophy.

UPDATE 2:46 p.m.: Ryan Wong, 30, of Beacon Hill, decided to walk to CenturyLink with his giant group of friends when they saw how packed light rail was this morning. He carried speakers blasting victory tunes such as Queen’s “We Are the Champions” and a song mixing Marshawn Lynch’s “About that action, boss” quote into it.

“It was fun walking over with everybody cheering and honking on their way over. The 12th Man has really shown up and it’s gonna put Seattle on the map.”

One of his friends, Melissa Nguyen, 30, of Beacon Hill, was at the Super Bowl and feels like the whole country was rooting for the Seahawks this week along with Seattle. She said Bronco fans had nothing on Seahawks cheers.

“We have so many Seahawk-isms — we’re really unique that way. And we have so many characters on our team.”

UPDATE 2:35 p.m.: Jay Heath, 34, of Seattle, stayed up most of the night making a big foam “12” sign, with a Space Needle representing the 1. He said his sister gave birth to a baby boy Sunday night at exactly 12:12.

“I just wanted to be here to celebrate this awesome victory,” he said.

UPDATE 2:25 p.m.: The players have made it to CenturyLink Field. There’s a season highlight video package playing in the stadium. More celebration to come.

UPDATE 2:10 p.m.: After the parade went past the library, the crowd broke up quickly. Street sweepers moved into place to begin removing the empty coffee cups, food wrappers and other trash left behind. The library filled with people who wanted to sit down, use the bathroom or just get warm.

Traffic began to move again, haltingly, on Fifth Avenue, one block up from the parade route.

Streets around Westlake Center also have re-opened, but traffic is moving very slowly. Tunnel transit stations are packed.

UPDATE 2:07 p.m.: Faithful Seahawks fan Sara Weyler painted her Great Dane blue and green for the big parade.

“We looked for shirts, but nobody had anything big enough for him,” explained Weyler, a 28-year-old dog sitter from Marysville. “So we did this instead.”

The paint job took about four hours, Weyler said.

The 2-year-old dog, named Opie, seemed to enjoy the temporary new colors, she said.

“He’s a big Hawks fan too,” she said.

UPDATE 2:02 p.m.: “It was way more people than we expected,” said Raenell Clyburn of Renton. She and her husband Antonio brought their four children, Andrew, 6; Jasmine and Tatiana, 4; and Tony, 13, and the family stood outside the Seattle Public Library beginning at 7:30 a.m. to watch the parade, with the children often riding on Antonio’s shoulders for a better look.

Steve and Ellen Hawley drove down from Snohomish at 5:30 a.m. and set up camp chairs outside the library. “Literally, look around you — this community spirit is unparalleled,” said Ellen Hawley, who praised the crowd for being so mellow during the long, cold wait for the team to arrive.

Her husband Steve said he attended the Sonics victory parade when he was 12 years old. “My cousin and I went down here — I don’t know how we got here, and I don’t know how we got home,” he said, laughing at how easy things seemed to be in 1979.

Morgan Camacho of Seattle wore a bear-like suit made of shaggy green, blue and black material to the parade. He was telling everyone to tweet about him using his hashtag, #YetiHawk.

As he was standing on Fourth, talking to a reporter, a woman walked up to him and stroked the suit. “You are amazing,” she said.

Camacho grinned. That’s the kind of reaction he had been getting all day long, he said.

UPDATE 1:55 p.m.: Seattle police are offering tips on getting out of downtown today.

“As folks are getting ready to leave for home, we are asking them to remember: It took six or seven hours for everyone to get downtown for the parade; and it will likely take at least that long for transportation systems to return to normal,” said Barb Graff, director of Seattle’s Office of Emergency Management. “Above all, please be kind out there today.”

Her advice:

• Stay calm and patient;
• Limit use of mobile phones and web access so important 911 calls can get through;
• Consider staying downtown and going home later — lots of great restaurants nearby;
• Walk home or to nearby neighborhoods;
• Check on each other;

Use the following links to plan your exit from downtown Seattle:
• Seahawks live-stream:
• City of Seattle’s Alerts Blog:
• King County Metro Trip Planner:
• Sound Transit Trip Planner:
• Community Transit:
• More parade questions and answers:
• Hashtag on social media: #Celebrate48

UPDATE 1:49 a.m.: And now a word from our sponsor: Quarterback Russell Wilson is holding up a copy of Monday’s The Seattle Times to show fans along the parade route.

UPDATE 1:45 p.m.: Nearly 20,000 people took ferries into Seattle this morning, way up from the typical 7,000, reported the Washington Department of Transportation. They’re expecting a return surge between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Also, the agency is urging people to be patient in traffic as the estimated 700,000 fans make their way back out of downtown this afternoon.

UPDATE 1:11 p.m.: The city of Seattle is asking fans downtown to stay off their phones as much as possible, because emergency lines are clogged.

Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson said they are concerned how all of the internet and phone usage downtown is impacting people making 911 calls.

“We have an extra 700,000 people in downtown Seattle today, so phone and internet traffic is going to be heavy. If at all possible stay off your phone. Stay off the internet. It would assist in keeping the 911 emergency lines open.”

Jamieson quickly added that the 911 center is receiving calls, but that all of the data usage in the downtown corridor has slowed things down.

UPDATE 1:02 p.m.: Seattle Department of Transportation tweeted this photo of the crowd, taken from a traffic camera downtown:


UPDATE 12:34 p.m.: For Mark and Marcellos Murray, choosing to skip school for the parade was “a matter of math.” murrays

The Renton father-and-son duo estimated they have spent hundreds or thousands of hours cheering for the Seahawks over the years, desperately hoping for a day like this.

“When you calculate all those hours that we’ve put into this,” said Mark Murray, a 43-year-old carpenter, “one day is worth it.”

Marcellos Murray, 13, was skipping out on Nelson Middle School.  His favorite Seahawk?  “Richard Sherman, of course.”

Mark Murray said he was about his son’s age when he skipped school for the 1979 Sonics victory parade.  He remembered that event featured smaller crowds but the chance to run up to the players and get autographs.

This time, he said, “we’re just hoping to catch a glimpse and cheer.”

UPDATE 12:28 p.m.: Officials at CenturyLink Field just announced that the players aren’t expected to arrive there until about 3 p.m.

That’s a slow parade, boss.

UPDATE 12:18 p.m.: Cornerback Richard Sherman is holding the Lombardi Trophy, and running back Marshawn Lynch is standing on the hood of the Duck carrying the SeaGals, tossing Skittles into the crowd.

Washington Gov. Jay Inlsee and Seattle Mayor Ed Murray are in another Duck. Inslee is toting a football.

UPDATE 12:12 p.m.: There’s a “moment of loudness” in the streets at 12:12 p.m. in honor of the 12th Man. It’s loud, all right.

UPDATE 12:06 p.m.: At least one Starbucks along the parade route has reported they are out of mocha. That’s because the crowd is an estimated 700,000 people, according to Seattle police.

UPDATE 12:01 p.m.: At Westlake Park, the crowd swelled to fill the park and sidewalks, packed shoulder to shoulder. A DJ played pop music and people climbed into trees to try to get a better view.

They danced and shivered and started impromptu chants.

People scaled the port-a-potties and sat on top. Some gave up and left. Networks were so jammed that no one’s cellphone would work.

Groups of young men drank Rainier beer from cans while families tried to calm young kids, who started to cry in the cold and noise. Nordstrom Rack ran out of warm gloves on clearance.

UPDATE 11:53 a.m.: The Seahawks players just started moving through downtown, nearly an hour late. Fans, packed in as tightly as 75 deep, are screaming and waving flags along the route. The players are jumping up and down inside the trucks, marveling at the number of fans.

UPDATE 11:47 a.m.: Beth Dowsing, 57, lives in Federal Way and came to the parade with a sign that read: “Wish my parents were here, but I know they are celebrating in heaven. Thank you Hawks.” She said her parents were original season ticket holders.

UPDATE 11:30 a.m.: At Seattle Public Schools today, the absentee rate was high not just for students, but for teachers. An update from the district:

Seattle Public Schools is reporting 565 teachers absent today, out of nearly 3,000 teachers total. On average, there are between 270-400 teachers out per day.  Note that some of these absences may be due to illness or other pre-arranged absences.

Nearly 80 percent of those absences were filled with substitute teachers. (The rest of the positions were filled by other teachers, instructional assistants, etc. In addition, staff from Central Office are in schools to assist).

A total of 13,523 students were reported absentthis morning, out of 51,000 students enrolled in the district. For comparison, there were 2,770 student absences yesterday.

We have heard that many of our schools are taking an opportunity to celebrate the Seahawks win by viewing the parade live during lunch.

UPDATE 11:28 a.m.: Chants of “SEA-Hawks!” in a call and response filled Pioneer Square.

Matt Quemel, from Bellevue, came from the graveyard shift at an warehouse and caught the light rail at Tukwila this morning about 8 a.m. He hasn’t slept in about 22 hours. “I love my team! I had to be here.”

He said everybody was let on the light rail for free cause it was so crowded.

Anna Valdez said she’s originally from Denver but now “bleeds blue and green.” She said that even her 5-year-old said how crummy Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning played. She and her husband, Dion Valdez, tried to get on a train, then a bus. Everything was packed. They drove — it took about two hours.

“It’s worth it to see our boys bring it home,” Anna Valdez said.

UPDATE 11:15 a.m.: Charlie Jeffries, 46, from Milton, ran five blocks to the train station in Sumner this morning. He owns an electrical contracting business. He told his three employees: “We’re not working. We’re going downtown. We’re going to celebrate with the Seahawks.”

Joshua Pointer, from Tacoma, tried to push his 3-year-old son in a stroller through the packed crowd in a Pioneer Square. He said, smiling, “Get out of the way or I’m going Beast Mode!” He and his wife, Brianna Madrid, were both wearing Marshawn Lynch jerseys.

Matt Vaughan was at the parade with his wife two kids. He is from West Seattle and is the owner of Easy Street Records. He says they have been in Beast Mode for the entire year.

UPDATE 11:10 a.m.: Fans are packing the streets around Pioneer Square waiting for the players to arrive. One young man in 49ers gear is being booed.

UPDATE 11:02 a.m.: It wasn’t just fans who had some trouble getting into downtown. The estimated hundreds of thousands of fans downtown have delayed the arrival of the Seahawks players, too. They are just starting to arrive at the Fourth and Denny, so the parade will start a bit late.

UPDATE 11 a.m.: David Marich spent the morning in a coffee shop on Third Avenue crowded with Seahawks fans. A Chicago native and Bears fan, he said he’s happy for the city but doesn’t want to stand in the cold.

UPDATE 10:48 a.m.: Police in Bremerton estimate as many as 1,000 fans may have been left behind there as ferries were carrying maximum loads.

Lanie Chilcote, Port Orchard, waited in line for more than two hours with friend Elaine Caires and three young girls. They were turned away from two boats in 22-degree weather, but still upbeat. “Hey, it’s all right. We had fun.” Chilcote said. She said they weren’t quite ready to give up. “We’re going to try for the Southworth boat,” she said.

Using his car loudspeaker, a Bremerton police officer was telling people in line: “If you can’t feel your toes, it’s probably time to go home.”

Brad Philpott, who also missed two ferries said, “Just roll with it. We’ll go home, warm up and watch it on TV.”

Mike Phillips, of Port Orchard, said it “might be a blessing in disguise. Getting home would have been a bear. It would have taken forever to get back on the boat.”

UPDATE 10:46 a.m.: Don Stephenson Jr. and Jason Botsford were decked out in their custom-made fan helmets as they waited for the parade to start — Stephenson had a Jango Fett helmet from the “Star Wars” series that he painted in Seahawks colors, and Botsford was wearing an Optimus Prime helmet with Seahawks colors and decals.

Stephenson had the day off, and Botsford got the day off from work at Bethel School District in Bonney Lake.

Both men go to the games whenever they can get tickets. Stephenson stayed up until 2 a.m. the night of the Super Bowl, watching highlights. He knew the game was over after the second-half kickoff. “Percy Harvin’s return put the nail in the coffin,” he said.

UPDATE 10:39 a.m.: Three soldiers from Joint Base Lewis McChord got on the Sounder in Lakewood at 6:45. They passed jammed stations but couldn’t stop because the train was all ready full. “It’s the first time we’ve won the Super Bowl,” said Sean Carothers.

Shari DuSold from Lacey also caught that train in Lakewood. “I’ve never lived in a city that won a Super Bowl. Her 2-year-old Ethan loves to cheer when the Seahawks score a touchdown, but may not know what a parade is. “He’ll clap, regardless.”

UPDATE 10:37 a.m.: Despite adding an extra south-line train, Sound Transit still had to leave Sounder passengers behind, when the final departure left Tacoma at 8:30 a.m. Some but not all of the stranded fans were picked up by express buses, said spokeswoman Kimberly Reason.

UPDATE 10:35 a.m.: About 500 people were waiting on foot to board a Bainbridge-to-Seattle ferry at 10:15 a.m., said Susan Harris, customer programs manager.  That means a “one-boat-wait,” she said. Similar crowding is underway at Bremerton. Crew are trying to tell passengers whether they will make it across before the parade, or should go home.

It may be possible for fans to catch a later boat from Bainbridge, around 11:30 or so, and still see the end of the parade from Pioneer Square, Harris said.

Harris said officials are even more concerned with the evening trip, but do not have spare boats to add.

Sarah Kessler of Covington, with Wilson. (photo by Jennifer Sullivan)
Sarah Kessler of Covington, with Wilson. (photo by Jennifer Sullivan)

UPDATE 10:21 a.m.: Sarah Kessler, owner of Dreamland Ponies in Covington, says her 8-year-old horse, Wilson, has become a honorary mascot for all of the major Seattle sports teams.

Wilson is a Shetland miniature horse. Kessler uses a food-safe water-based paint on him.

“He’s so good. He’s been to every single rally,” Kessler said.

UPDATE 10:16 a.m.: In front of the Seattle Public Library, Shane Hjelm of Kent stepped into the street and started a call-and-response between the crowd standing on opposite sides of Fourth. “Sea-Hawks! Sea-Hawks!”

Hjelm watched the game Sunday with family and friends at home. He knew the Seahawks were destined to win when the second-half kickoff was returned for a touchdown. “That kickoff was the nail in the coffin,” he said.

Hjelm plans to stay for the parade, but isn’t going to the stadium.

His friend, Jon Woods of Seattle, and another fan reminisced about their favorite plays over the Seahawks’ history in Seattle, including plays made by Steve Largent and games that took place in the now-demolished Kingdome.

“Pete Carroll put on a show,” Woods said. “If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t have this championship. I appreciate that he led it back to the 12th Man.”

Throughout the morning, as different vehicles passed in front of the library, the crowd roared. They laughed at a hearse that passed by with the words “Broncos Last Ride — RIP.” They cheered when the cab of a big-rig truck passed by painted with a big 12 in Seahawks colors. They waved flags, and blew noisemakers.

UPDATE: 10:12 a.m.: Susan McCloskey, 66, was standing near Fourth Avenue and Virginia Street. The substitute special education assistant for Seattle Public Schools  said she missed the parade when the Seattle SuperSonics won the NBA championship in 1979 because she was teaching overseas in Norway.

“I was not gonna miss this one,” McCloskey said.

UPDATE 10:04 a.m.: Fans pouring into Westlake Center described packed buses from the suburbs, as music blasted from the second floor of the mall and vendors sold horns and t-shirts. “Be loud. $5” read one sign advertising horns.

Being loud did not seem to be a problem for the fired-up fans, many of whom skipped school or work to be at the parade.

“It was a no brainer,” said Greg Good, of Kirkland. He and his wife pulled their kids, Jacob, 11, and Mya, 8, out of school and caught an early bus across the lake. “This is the opportunity of a lifetime.”

Stephanie Ries, of Mill Creek, wanted to avoid the crowds and spent two hours calling hotels yesterday so they could stay overnight in the city.

It was still hard to find a good spot to see the Seahawks on the packed downtown sidewalks.

But the main idea was “just to be a part of the whole celebration,” she said.

UPDATE 10:01 a.m.: The start of the parade route is packed. Hundreds of people are standing on the sidewalks, dancing in the street and chanting “Sea–Hawks!!”  Vendors are selling Super Bowl championship pendants for $10 a pop and hawking noisemakers and t-shirts.

A sports bar and coffee shop at Fisher Plaza is jammed with people keeping warm and charging their phones.

UPDATE 9:58 a.m.: Washington State Ferries officials said they can’t ensure all West Sound fans will be able to get to Seattle in time for the 11 a.m. start of the parade. Even the larger Bainbridge Island ferries are leaving approximately 150 walk-on passengers on the docks at each sailing, said WSF spokeswoman Susan Harris.

She said she had not been able to confirm that the line for cars waiting to board the Bainbridge ferry stretched to Poulsbo, but said it wouldn’t surprise her. She said there are no available ferries to pull off other routes to help Seattle bound riders get to town.

Harris also urged ferry riders to buy their westbound return tickets early as the lines for tickets in the afternoon were expected to be horrendous.

UPDATE 9:25 a.m.: King County Metro Transit reports full buses throughout the system, and riders on several routes have been told to wait for the next bus, said spokesman Jeff Switzer.

There was one incident of a tire fire, in which passengers in the I-90 express lanes had to be transferred to another bus, he said.

The corner of Second Avenue South and South Jackson Street is filling with cars, pedestrians and buses, and police are trying to keep traffic flowing, Switzer said. Downtown congestion is having some effect on bus speeds already, he said.

UPDATE 9:20 a.m.: After first refusing to allow students to skip school for today’s Seahawks victory parade, Seattle Public Schools sent principals a sample wording of a note they could use to allow it.

The reversal came after pubic pressure to let students attend the historic event, marking the city’s first Super Bowl victory..

District spokeswoman Teresa Wippel said principals were sent a template they could use that would excuse absences for the Seahawks event if parents send a note or email to the school.

Wippel said she had no information on how many of the district’s 95 schools took up the offer, but some of the high schools allowing the absence are Ingraham, Roosevelt, Ballard, Garfield and Rainier Beach.

UPDATE 9:17 a.m.: Traffic update: Sound Transit trains are nearly packed heading into Seattle as of 9 a.m., and earlier in the day some light-rail trains were too full to pick up riders within Seattle, said spokesman Bruce Gray.  He was speaking aboard a northbound train near the city limits.  Almost 300 people were aboard a two-car train that totals 150 seats, he said.

“Everyone’s in good spirits, I’ll tell you that,” he said. “Folks aren’t on top of each other yet, but they will be by the time we get to Beacon Hill.”

Every available train is on the line.  Sound Transit can run only two-car trains – even though the stations are built for four-car trains – because there is limited room to turn around north of Westlake Station. That problem will disappear by early 2016, when the next segment  of Link extends to Husky Stadium.

Sounder’s commuter lines added extra rail cars in the Everett-Seattle corridor, and one extra train in the Lakewood-Tacoma-Kent-Seattle corridor.  Still, passengers and transit officials reported full trains, and some riders were urged to wait at the station for the next train. The last scheduled departure north from Tacoma was 8:30 a.m.

UPDATE 9:15 a.m.: Tickets for the CenturyLink rally following the parade continue to be in demand. On Craigslist, dozens of people are seeking tickets to the rally, but only a few are offering tickets for sale. One Craigslist poster said he’s at a Starbucks near the stadium this morning looking for rally tickets. His offer: $250.

UPDATE 9:05 a.m.: Ferries were packed this morning. Some 650 people were left at the dock in Bremerton after the 7:20 a.m. ferry to Seattle was filled to capacity. The ferry system said 125 walk-ons were left behind in Bainbridge for the 7:55 a.m. ferry because the 2,500 capacity boat was already filled to the brim, according to Washington State Ferries spokeswoman Susan Harris. Harris urged Bremerton riders planning to take the 9:45 a.m. ferry, which is a small boat, to get to the dock immediately or consider heading to Bainbridge Island.

UPDATE 9: a.m.: At Safeco Field, made available to handle CenturyLink Field’s spill-over from today’s Seahawks victory parade, all seats were distributed online by 11 p.m. Tuesday. A Seattle Mariners spokesperson said because of the quick decision to open the stadium – done at the request of the Seahawks and the city of Seattle, only about 27,000 of its 45,000 seats were available for use. Those in the stadium will watch the event on its large screen.

UPDATE 8:50 a.m.: Traffic is a mess throughout the Seattle area with long drive times from Everett to the city and for fans coming north from Tacoma. Both floating bridges have seen a good deal of traffic, and Metro bus stops were jammed all morning. One rider reports that people are jammed like sardines on light rail trains from at least Mount Baker all the way downtown Seattle.

Jeff Jones and Sasha Cruver, both of Seattle, celebrate along 4th Avenue Wednesday morning.  (Photo by Ellen Banner / The Seattle Times)
Jeff Jones and Sasha Cruver, both of Seattle, celebrate along 4th Avenue Wednesday morning. (Photo by Ellen Banner / The Seattle Times)

UPDATE 8 a.m.: At Westlake Plaza, hundreds and hundreds of Seahawks fans who braved the cold came dressed in costumes and jerseys, sporting makeup and waving flags. They were screaming and chanting for the home team, of course. The line at the nearby Starbucks was out the door.

Sean Cochran, left, of Port Orchard and friend Greg Kockritz, of Seattle, pitched a tent at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night to get a spot along Fourth Avenue just south of Denny for the Seattle Seahawks victory parade. Kockritz, 39, a Seattle native, said “I’ve been waiting for this all my life.” (Photo by Ken Lambert / The Seattle Times)
Sean Cochran, left, of Port Orchard and friend Greg Kockritz, of Seattle, pitched a tent at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night to get a spot along Fourth Avenue just south of Denny for the Seattle Seahawks victory parade. Kockritz, 39, a Seattle native, said “I’ve been waiting for this all my life.” (Photo by Ken Lambert / The Seattle Times)


UPDATE 7:40 a.m.: Tina Miller, of Everett, and her grandson, Freddy, 5, set up their chair and wagon at the start of the parade. When the two arrived at 3 a.m., they were the only ones there.

Even a fast food restaurant had the spirit.

“The McDonalds over there was nice enough to let us in early,” said Miller.

Miller said it was important to take her young grandson to the parade. “He’s all about football.”

Freddy said he can’t wait to see Russell Wilson.

Nicole Probst, her 16-year-old daughter, Lexie and her mom, Andrea Mendez, drove up from Graham last night to stay at a Seattle Center hotel.

“We’ve waited for this for so long,” Probst said, adding that when she told her daughter’s school that she would be out, it was for “a religious event.” She laughed and said it wasn’t really a lie.

“We’re here to support our boys.”

Mendez says she took Probst and her other children to see the Sonics parade in the 1970s and couldn’t miss this one.


UPDATE 7:25 a.m.: Jessie and Don Wetzbarger of Tacoma, who came to town with their sons Skyler, 6, and Tanner, 8, were camped out on Fourth Avenue in Belltown.

“I’ve been waiting a long time for this,” said Jessie, who noted that she didn’t sleep last night, instead working on her blue and green eye makeup and decorating their dog, Pepe, who was at their  side, ready for the festivities

At Uptown Espresso on Fourth Avenue, the coffee line was almost out the door. Manager Audrey Matherne said that when she arrived early this morning, she saw many people on the street ready for the parade. She said she brought in extra staff and extra pastries to be prepared.

“Everybody is in a great mood,” she said. “How could you not be?”

UPDATE AT: 7 a.m.: Early morning ferry runs from Bremerton to Seattle are packed to the gills as people come to the city for the Seahawks victory parade.

NEW AT 6:30 a.m.: At Fisher Plaza at Fourth Avenue just south of Seattle Center, more than 100 people are gathered, setting up lawn chairs, throwing footballs, cheering, waving flags and chanting “Seahawks, Seahawks, Seahawks.”

Kathi Raymond from Sedro Woolley arrived here at 4 a.m. with her daughters.

“It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. It’s the first, and only Super Bowl parade,” Raymond said. Her daughters, 11 and 7, talked excitedly about Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, quarterback Russell Wilson and running back Marshawn Lynch.