A portable generator sparked a house fire last night that injured two people, according to the Kent Fire Department.
The generator was placed too close to the home in the 27300 block of 154th Avenue Southeast, igniting the cedar siding, according to a news release from Capt. Kyle Ohashi. Power to the neighborhood was out due to the weather and the family was using the generator to provide heat and lighting when the fire started at 10:38 p.m.
One resident of the home suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital, but is expected to recover. A firefighter was also treated for an injury, Ohashi said. A cat was killed.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
For safety tips on how to deal with a power outage, click here.