The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office said this evening that Charlie and Braden Powell suffered chop injuries to their heads and necks, likely before their father set fire to his home.
The cause of death for both boys was listed as carbon-monoxide poisoning, but they had other significant “chop injuries.” Braden, 5, suffered chop injuries to his head and neck, and Charlie, 7, had chop injuries to his neck, according to the medical examiner’s office.
Both their deaths were ruled as homicides.
Their father, Josh Powell, also died of carbon-monoxide poisoning. His death was ruled a suicide.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
Investigators reportedly recovered a hatchet from their father’s rental home, where the boys perished Sunday in a fire set by their father.