State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- The inside story of MCAS: How Boeing's 737 MAX system gained power and lost safeguards | Times Watchdog VIEW
- 'We are in dire straits': Even Washington's wealthiest town can't make our backward tax system work | Danny Westneat
- Trailing in early polls, Inslee takes presidential campaign to the biggest stage of his political career
- White Center shooting leaves 3 wounded VIEW
- Man, 22, killed in rear-end crash on I-5 in Marysville
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/