State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- The Arlene's Flowers case is back in the state Supreme Court - here's why
- Map: Kim Schrier won big in King County suburbs, even in Dino Rossi's neighborhood
- Alaska Airlines starts taking reservations for flights out of Everett's Paine Field
- Owners of Seattle electronics recycler charged in fraud case
- Senate approves exemption for Anacortes-built trawler grounded by too much foreign steel
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/