State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'We lost one of our finest': Kittitas County deputy shot dead Tuesday night was father of three
- This weather won't last: Here's when Seattle's unseasonable warmth will turn to typical cold and rain
- The buses are coming out of the transit tunnel. Here's what it means for transit riders and drivers. VIEW
- After infighting at Seattle's tiny-house villages, activist leaders get the boot
- Officers shoot, wound man after he fires at them on Capitol Hill, police say
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/