State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- Microsoft pledges $500 million to tackle housing crisis in Seattle, Eastside
- 3 found dead in Sammamish a longtime Realtor, author, their son, relative says
- Video released of Seattle police sergeant who sat in a chair in front of a man's workplace, seeking an apology WATCH
- Total lunar eclipse coming this weekend; here's when you can see it
- 'Pretty rare in January': Seattle just set a record for warm temperatures
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/