State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- Meth is back in King County, bigger than it's been for decades
- Seattle nightlife entrepreneur Dave Meinert re-emerges after #MeToo allegations. Will he be welcomed back?
- 1 person hurt, 2 detained in midday shooting in downtown Seattle
- City Hall's idea of housing on golf courses? It turns out the people made a law against that | Danny Westneat
- Family: Missing Everett man found dead in Cascades
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/