State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second-longest season it's stayed open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — The seasonal gate to Artist Point in Whatcom County has closed for the winter.
The Washington State Department of Transportation announced the closure on Sunday.
KING-TV reports the stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway closes annually when snow makes the roadway impassable for vehicles.
It is still accessible by snowshoe, fat-tire bicycle, or on foot until the roadway re-opens in 2019.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington state is No. 1. Of course! But which states are the worst?
- Driver 'appeared to be dancing and smiling' after Aurora crash that killed 2, charging papers say
- After 120-day ban on flavored vaping products, Washington will aim for permanent ban, tougher regulations
- 'Cutting and running': King County closing its doors to street danger sends exactly the wrong message | Danny Westneat
- Sound Transit removes top safety chief after report on fatal Amtrak crash
Mount Baker Highway typically closes in late September or early October after the first major snowfall.
State Route 542 remained open for 130 days this year, making it the second longest season it’s remained open. In 2015, Mount Baker Highway stayed open for 171 days.
Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/