A Port Angeles teen who pleaded guilty to manslaughter for her baby's death has been ordered to pay $7,400 for funeral and burial expenses.
A Port Angeles teen who pleaded guilty to manslaughter for her baby’s death has been ordered to pay $7,400 for funeral and burial expenses.
A Clallam County Superior Court judge ruled last week that 19-year-old Lauryn Last must reimburse the state Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund, which paid for the services, including a $3,500 headstone.
The Peninsula Daily News reports ( http://is.gd/E08HY0) her lawyer had argued it was unfair because she had been impregnated at 15 by a man now serving time for the assault.
Last was accused of drowning the newborn in 2008 after giving birth on a toilet. The body was found at a Tacoma landfill.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle to help buy three new apartment buildings to house people facing homelessness
Information from: Peninsula Daily News, http://www.peninsuladailynews.com