The poll has expired. Thank you for your submissions.
Space mining: A new Bellevue-based company has set its sights on extracting platinum, gold and other valuable resources from asteroids using robotics.
Dubbing themselves Planetary Resources, the company has some two dozen engineers and scientists working on compact space telescopes that would scan for promising targets, says co-founder Eric Anderson.
We found the idea of mining in space adventurous, to say the least. Can it be done? It certainly will cost a lot, but the investors are well-heeled.
Most Read Local Stories
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Rain will stick around this week in the Seattle area, with a chance for thunderstorms
Nevertheless, we’re curious what you think about sending bots into space to mine for valuable metals and such. Take our poll.