A look at the accusations involving Seattle Mayor Ed Murray.

Share story

Oct. 15, 1974: Ed Murray’s mother, Anna Murray, dies in Olympia at 53. After her death, Murray — then living in Belfast, Northern Ireland — and his siblings move to the East Coast to live with relatives. Murray, in his early 20s, is taken in by a cousin, Maryellen Sotille. He shares a bedroom with her 13-year-old son, Joseph Dyer, who says Murray sexually abused him.

Late 1970s: Jeff Simpson meets Ed Murray, who is working part time as a counselor at the Parry Center for Children and attending the University of Portland.

1980: Simpson spends the night at Murray’s apartment on an authorized visit from a group home. He later claims this is the first time Murray sexually abused him. Over the next couple of years, Simpson says, Murray continues to rape and abuse him during visits.

Nov. 4, 1982: Jeff Simpson moves in with Murray as his foster son. It is considered a last-ditch placement, as other homes for Simpson have all failed.

March 16, 1984: Simpson is removed from Murray’s home and placed in a group home after Murray says he can’t handle the youngster’s behavioral problems.

April 11, 1984: Simpson tells a social worker Murray sexually abused him, triggering a report to Oregon Child Protective Services (CPS).

April 18, 1984: CPS caseworker Judy Butler meets with Simpson, who recounts alleged sexual abuse by Murray starting when Simpson was 13. The next day, Simpson repeats his story to a police detective.

April 20, 1984: Simpson, a Portland police detective and CPS caseworker all testify before a grand jury as prosecutors prepare to pursue criminal charges.

May 9, 1984: Mary Tomlinson, a Multnomah County deputy prosecutor, withdraws the potential criminal case against Murray. In a letter to Butler, the CPS investigator, Tomlinson writes that Simpson’s emotional instability and his running away “forced my decision.” But, she adds, “this in no way means that the District Attorney’s Office has decided that Jeff’s allegations are not true.” Murray leaves Portland and moves to Seattle within a couple months.

May 2007: Simpson hires Portland attorney Brian Williams to pursue a possible civil lawsuit against Murray. Lloyd Anderson, another man who also says he was abused by Murray as a teenager, comes forward.

Feb. 25, 2008: Williams tells Simpson in a letter that Oregon’s statute of limitations makes the case against Murray too difficult and he won’t file a lawsuit. In subsequent months, Simpson tries to publicize his claims by calling news reporters and state lawmakers.

March 2008: Reporters seeking to find records to corroborate Simpson’s claims are told by the Oregon Department of Health Services that Simpson’s foster records no longer exist. The Seattle Times opts not to publish a story.

April 6, 2017: A lawsuit is filed against Murray by Delvonn Heckard, a 46-year-old Kent man, claiming Murray raped and molested him when Heckard was a drug-addicted teenager in Seattle in the 1980s. The Seattle Times reports for the first time on the similar allegations made by Simpson and Anderson. Murray denies all the claims as false.

May 2, 2017: A fourth accuser, 44-year-old Maurice Lavon Jones, comes forward to claim he was paid for sex by Murray when Jones was a teenage drug addict and prostitute. Jones makes the claim in a sworn jailhouse declaration to Heckard’s attorney, Lincoln Beauregard. Murray calls the claim a media stunt.

May 9, 2017: While continuing to deny all the allegations, Murray drops his re-election bid, saying the scandal surrounding him would be too much of a distraction. He said he intends to serve out the remainder of his term through the end of the year.

June 14, 2017: Heckard and his attorneys drop his sex-abuse lawsuit against Murray, saying they intend to refile it after Murray leaves office. Murray holds a news conference, declaring he has been vindicated, and challenges reporters to dig further into Simpson’s claims.

July 5, 2017: The Oregon Department of Human Services releases newly discovered public records detailing the 1984 investigation to The Seattle Times. The records show that Butler believed Murray had abused Simpson.

July 27, 2017: Heckard files a claim for damages against the city of Seattle, contending Murray used his position of power and resources as the city’s mayor to defame him by pushing a false theory that Heckard is part of an anti-gay conspiracy to take down Murray.

Sept. 12, 2017: Joseph Dyer, Murray’s younger cousin, publicly alleges to The Seattle Times that Murray abused him in the mid-1970s. Dyer says he only recently learned through news accounts of the other men who have accused the mayor.

Sept. 12, 2017: Murray, who continues to deny all allegations, issues statement saying it has “become clear to me that in light of the latest news report it is best for the city if I step aside.” His resignation takes effect at 5 p.m. Sept. 13.