A group of Whatcom County residents has started an effort to recall a state senator currently serving on President Trump’s transition team.
BELLINGHAM — A group of Whatcom County residents has started an effort to recall a state senator currently serving on President Trump’s transition team.
The Bellingham Herald reports that some residents say Sen. Doug Ericksen can’t do his job at home while he’s serving as communications director for the Environmental Protection Agency during the presidential transition. Critics say Ericksen has missed at least 75 percent of the committee meetings he has been scheduled to attend this legislative session.
Michael Shepard filed initial recall paperwork Thursday. A Whatcom County Superior Court judge will determine if the charges meet the criteria for a recall.
Ericksen says his Senate work is getting done and called the recall effort a “frivolous PR stunt.” He says he’s confident the charges will be thrown out.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, May 26: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the nation
- Coronavirus daily news updates, May 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the world
- New analysis may rewrite the history of Washington state’s coronavirus outbreak
- How missed 'red flags' helped Nigerian fraud ring 'Scattered Canary' bilk Washington's unemployment system amid coronavirus chaos
- 'I'm hiding from the bank': How the bottom may be falling out of the coronavirus response