The Navy is suing Kitsap County to try to stop it from releasing Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor emergency plans.
BANGOR — The Navy is suing Kitsap County to try to stop it from releasing Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor emergency plans.
The Kitsap Sun reports that the Navy filed the complaint Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The court on Tuesday issued a temporary restraining order stopping the county from releasing the records.
A preliminary injunction hearing is set for Dec. 24.
In January, Glen Milner asked Kitsap County Emergency Management for records regarding potential consequences of a radiological accident at the base and planned response.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, July 12: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- 2 dead, 2 hurt in shooting and stabbing in downtown Bellevue
- Violence that killed two in Bellevue began with domestic dispute, police say
- Alaska flight forced to return to Sea-Tac Airport after man threatens passengers Saturday night WATCH
- Meet the Youth Liberation Front behind a militant marathon of Portland protests VIEW
The Navy denied the request and said it will inform residents how to respond if a catastrophic incident occurs.
County attorneys say they are legally obligated to provide documents that the Navy says can’t be released.