Billionaire developer Martin Selig on Monday delivered a $1.4 million check to Seattle City Light to pay down overdue electric bills on his properties.

Share story

Billionaire developer Martin Selig on Monday delivered a $1.4 million check to Seattle City Light to pay down overdue electric bills on his properties.

The payment came the same day The Seattle Times reported Selig’s properties had racked up $1.9 million in unpaid light bills, with about $1 million of that more than 90 days delinquent.

In an interview, Selig said that the payment “got us current” and that he’d pay upcoming bills as they came due.

Seattle City Light spokesman Scott Thomsen confirmed the payment had been received by the utility.

Though he has a history of falling behind on utility bills, Selig said as one of the city’s largest landlords he hadn’t regarded his past-due payments as unusual. He noted he’d been working with City Light on a payment plan to get current on the electric bills.

He said his company, Martin Selig Real Estate, does not face a financial crunch and is proceeding on several ongoing development projects.

In the interview, Selig also made it clear he is disavowing support for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Selig had been listed as a co-host for an Aug. 30 Seattle fundraiser for Trump. He’d recently said in multiple interviews he supported the GOP nominee as a loyal Republican.

But on Monday, Selig said he would not be participating in the fundraiser and also would not donate money to Trump’s campaign or even vote for him in November. Selig cited blowback he received after his name was associated with Trump.

“Do you know what it’s like being a Jewish Republican in Seattle?” Selig said.

“The repercussions of what you hear from people is stunning,” he said, adding he’d previously “had his eyes blinded” in supporting Trump by default as the Republican candidate. Now, he said he’ll write in a candidate for president this fall instead of voting for Trump or Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Selig is the latest of several Trump fundraiser co-hosts who have since disavowed any interest in supporting the Republican nominee.

At least three other business executives listed as co-hosts of the upcoming fundraiser said they did not support Trump and would not attend the event.

State Sen. Doug Ericksen, R-Ferndale, a Trump campaign leader in Washington, said a draft invitation to the event prepared by the Republican National Committee had been prematurely circulated before plans had been finalized.