“Anderson Mountain,” a 2½-acre, 100,000-cubic-yard pile of crushed concrete in Skyway, was ordered removed by King County.

Share story

Nobody expects a low-income mobile-home park to be in luxurious surroundings.

But you’ve never seen a residential community like this.

It’s right up the hill from Contractors Concrete Recycling in the 12900 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Way South.

Those old buildings that get demolished so the New Seattle can grow have to end up somewhere. They end up in recycling yards like this. Even the Kingdome rubble found its way here.

But finally, after more than three decades, the county said on Tuesday that the recycling yard will get cleaned up under a court mandate. The county says the recycler’s first code violation was in 1982.

How big did the rubble grow?

“For a time, I couldn’t even see the sun,” says David Carlton.

From his bedroom window at the Vue Mobile Home Park in Skyway, when he wakes up, what Carlton sees is a portion of a giant mound of concrete rubble. He sees only a portion because what’s become known as “Anderson Mountain” is so huge.

The recycling business was owned by Joseph Anderson, of Tukwila, hence the name of the mound.

King County officials guess the mound is something like 100,000 cubic yards and covers 2½ acres.

From the hillside location where Carlton, 69, a retired petroleum worker, lives, he used to be able to see Mount Rainier.

No more.

The mound rises maybe, oh, two, three, four stories in height, and comes within 15 feet of Carlton’s mobile home. At one point, he says, it was 4 feet from the back of his trailer.

A couple of trees grew at the edge of the property.

They’re dead. Kind of hard to grow in concrete.

The residents at Vue, and the nearby Empire View Mobile Home Park, which together offer 98 slots that rent from $298 to $498 a month, depending on income, complained for years to authorities about the dust and noise.

Carlton has lived at the park for 20 years. He says he knows Anderson. “Nice guy,” says Carlton.

Carlton says he understands about the concrete recycler. “It’s a business.”

But, still.

In recent days, it’s been raining and raining, right?

Carlton sweeps a finger across a desk inside his home. Makes a circle right in the dust that still has come in. The rain didn’t help.

“In the summertime you have to vacuum at least three times a week,” says Carlton. “It gets to the point you say, ‘The hell with it.’ ”

And the noise.

“Ever stand next to a diesel truck when it’s running? All day long?” says Carlton.

At a news conference Tuesday at Empire View, King County Executive Dow Constantine called the mound an “eyesore and health hazard.” He talked about residents complaining of asthma attacks.

He said the county finally tired of trying to negotiate settlements with Anderson and said that “ambiguous, lenient and inefficient code-enforcement laws” favored violators over the public interest.

On Dec. 1, King County Superior Court Judge Brian Gain issued an abatement order that stopped any further debris from being dumped there and ordered a cleanup.

The property now is in receivership.

Constantine also said he was directing his staff to draft stronger code-enforcement rules.

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan King County Council approved $400,000 to clean up the site. The county is supposed to get the $400,000 back when the property is sold.

Craig Mungas, the attorney who’s been appointed receiver for the site, says there already have been “three serious purchasers.” It’s zoned for mixed use.

What would happen to the concrete is that it’d be sold for fill (the county says tests show it contains no hazardous materials), or spread on the existing nearly 19-acre property.

On Tuesday, Anderson was at the recycling office.

“Some of what’s being said is true, and false,” he says, saying he’ll have more to say later. The recycler employs 13 people.

Mungas says that Anderson has had the business for 40, 45 years.

“Emotional attachment,” says Mungas. “He has a lot of his identity wrapped in it.”

At his mobile home, Carlton says that the other day he had a dream about what happened to all that concrete. There was a big earthquake. The concrete liquefied, went right down to the Duwamish Waterway, created a dam, which created Lake Duwamish.

You’re around that much concrete for a couple decades, it gets into your psyche.

It’s not clear how long it’ll take to crush and figure out what to do with the 100,000 cubic yards of concrete.

Six months, maybe a year, says Constantine.

That means that one of these days, David Carlton will get to see Mount Rainier again.

He says that would be nice.