The endorsements keep piling up in Seattle’s mayoral race. Cary Moon nabbed support from the Seattle Education Association as Jenny Durkan was backed by two LGBTQ advocacy organizations.
Mayoral candidate Cary Moon unveiled support from Seattle Education Association on Thursday, following a series of endorsement announcements by rival Jenny Durkan.
Durkan earlier this week added Equal Rights Washington, the Human Rights Campaign and state Attorney General Bob Ferguson to her list of backers.
Moon’s SEA nod, announced at Ballard High School, means the union for Seattle’s 5,000 public-school teachers is pulling for her. She already had been endorsed by SEIU Local 925, which represents child-care and higher-education workers.
2017 Seattle mayoral race
- Jenny Durkan defeats Cary Moon to become Seattle’s first woman mayor since the 1920s
- Seattle's next mayor, Jenny Durkan, names full transition team, deputy mayors
- Seattle’s millionaire mayoral candidates say they know what it’s like to struggle
- Beyond tent-camp ‘sweeps,’ big questions await next Seattle mayor
- Seattle mayoral candidates both say the future holds fewer cars. Here’s how they would ease the crunch
- Cary Moon: Urbanist, waterfront activist touts vision for city, faces questions about résumé, accomplishments
- Jenny Durkan: Former U.S. attorney brings experience, high-powered allies, but also draws scrutiny
- Seattle’s first — and only — female mayor was elected in 1926
In a news release, Moon said she wouldn’t “raid” the city’s Families and Education Levy, “which is intended to address the K-12 opportunity gap” between students from disadvantaged families and their peers.
Most Read Local Stories
- Bystander hailed as hero after killing suspect in spree of violence in Tumwater; suspect ID'd as local man VIEW
- Legendary skate-park designer Roger Mark 'Monk' Hubbard of Seattle dead at 47
- Police: Gunman stole ammunition at Tumwater Walmart, was followed and killed by armed shopper
- Washington warmed slowest of all states over past 30 years — but what does it mean for climate change? | FYI Guy
- Here’s why there are giant fans inside the I-90 Mount Baker tunnel
When Durkan in August proposed free community college for all public school graduates, she identified the levy as a potential funding source, the release noted.
“We believe that Cary will be steadfast in supporting (the levy’s) intent to serve programs that directly benefit our K-12 students and work to close the opportunity gap,” Michael Tamayo, SEA’s vice president, said in the release.
Tamayo also praised Moon’s “commitment to bringing all stakeholders to the table, including SEA, when discussing how the city can support schools.”
Equal Rights Washington, which has endorsed Durkan, is a statewide advocacy and community-outreach organization that promotes dignity, safety and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.
The Human Rights Campaign is the nation’s largest LGBTQ civil-rights organization.
“Jenny Durkan is a proven leader with a passion for justice, fairness and equality,” JoDee Winterhof, a senior vice president, said in a news release, noting that Durkan was the country’s first openly LGBTQ U.S. attorney.
Ferguson, a Democrat, has seen his profile soar this year with several legal challenges against President Donald Trump’s administration.
“Jenny will be the partner we need to protect Seattle and our state from President Trump and his administration,” Ferguson said in a video statement.