Seattle police shot and wounded a man early Sunday outside a Lake Union nightclub. The man had fired his gun into a crowd of people, police said, and pointed his weapon toward detectives.

Share story

Seattle police shot and wounded an armed man early Sunday outside a Lake Union nightclub that was the scene of another shootout this year.

Police said the 22-year-old had been firing a gun into a crowd of people in the parking lot at Citrus Restaurant and Lounge. Two officers opened fire when the man pointed the gun at them, police said.

His injuries are not life-threatening, police said.

Another man, 26, who was shot is also expected to recover. It wasn’t clear who shot him, though it was not a police officer, according to a Seattle Police Department spokesman.

Police said more than one person may have been shooting in the club parking lot.

Trouble was obviously brewing earlier in the evening at the club in the 1000 block of Fairview Avenue North. A security guard at Citrus called 911 as closing time neared, to warn police that violence was possible.

Members of the Police Department’s Gang Unit took up positions across the street from the club as patrons were leaving shortly before 2 a.m.

Police said detectives saw the 22-year-old open fire and run across Fairview with a gun in his hand. Three detectives confronted him, and two fired when the man pointed the gun in their direction, police said.

He was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he was placed under guard. After he’s released from the hospital, police say, he will be booked into King County Jail.

The 26-year-old who was shot flagged down officers a couple of blocks from the club, explaining he had been shot in the parking lot. He also was taken to Harborview.

As is standard, both officers involved in the shooting will be on paid administrative leave while the case is investigated. A firearms review board will determine whether the shooting was justified under department policy.

In late January, a brawl at the Citrus Lounge erupted into gunfire. Three young men were shot and seriously injured and at least two cars were riddled with bullet holes. A 23-year old man was arrested in connection with those shootings.

Sandi Doughton: 206-464-2491 or