Seattle police see a lot of strange things, but even they can’t help but describe an assault last night in Lake City as “bizarre” and “weird.”
We’ll start at the beginning:
A 25-year-old man — let’s call him the “victim” — told police he was confronted in his home in the 11800 block of 31st Place Northeast by a second man, 24, who was angry about being lied to. An argument ensued and then erupted into fisticuffs. At some point, the 24-year-old man — we’ll call him the “suspect” — grabbed a large screwdriver and threatened the victim and his girlfriend, 20.
Most Read Local Stories
- This says it all: Congressman proposes 'Masks Off Act' for schools as 29% of COVID cases in his area are in schoolchildren
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lack of answers is excruciating for family of man found shot to death at Seattle's Gas Works Park
- Shooting near WSU kills man who worked for Somali American community, injures Cougar football player
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
The suspect forced the victim and his girlfriend to strip naked so he could check for weapons, according to police. The suspect told the woman, ominously, that if she picked up the phone or tried to leave it “would not go well for her.”
Sometime later, the suspect forced the couple to go downstairs and change into different clothes. He then laid out a plan in which the woman would drive both men to a hospital, where they would claim they were assaulted by another person.
As the suspect and the couple were walking out of the home toward a car, the victim ran toward Lake City Way Northeast, with the suspect on his heels. Several witnesses saw the suspect stabbing the victim with the screwdriver. The victim’s girlfriend called 911 just after 10:30 p.m.
Police arrived at Northeast 120th Street and Lake City Way Northeast to see the suspect, holding a screwdriver, standing over the victim. Officers arrested the suspect and provided first aid to the victim, who had been stabbed and bitten in the attack.
The victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
The suspect was booked into the King County Jail for investigation of assault and investigation of unlawful imprisonment. Not surprisingly, police say he declined to explain his actions.