Seattle police were engaged in a standoff with an apparently mentally ill man near Alki Beach in West Seattle this morning.
Police were called to the 1100 block of Alki Avenue Southwest at 7:01 a.m. by a man who claimed he was suicidal. The man called from his car then was found on a nearby pier, said department spokesman Mark Jamieson.
When patrol officers approached the man they found a gun on the ground near him; the man then pulled out a second firearm and committed suicide, Jamieson said.
Traffic in the area has been blocked because of the activity.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- Here's what you need to know about King County's vaccine or test requirement
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations